Sunday's gossip column - transfers and rumours

Gossip logo

TRANSFER GOSSIP

Attacker Cristiano Ronaldo, 27, has told friends he wants to re-join Manchester United from Real Madrid in the summer, but he believes the cost of the deal will prove too prohibitive. The Portugal international has scored 170 goals in 169 games since his £80m move to Spain in 2009.

Full story: the Sun on Sunday

Atletico Madrid striker Adrian Lopez
Adrian Lopez has scored two goals in 15 La Liga appearances this season

Manchester City are planning an overhaul of their player recruitment policy as they look to cut down on a wage bill that has risen above £200m-per-year. Defender Joleon Lescott, 30, midfielder Gareth Barry, 31, midfielder James Milner, 26, striker Edin Dzeko, 26, and striker Mario Balotelli, 22, could all be sold to help the drive.

Full story: The Sunday Times (subscription required)

One player who could be arriving at the Etihad is Arsenal attacker Theo Walcott, 23. Manchester City sporting director Txiki Begiristain plans to either make an offer in January, or wait until the England international's contract expires in the summer.

Full story: Daily Star Sunday

AC Milan are lining up a £20m bid to sign City striker Balotelli in next month's transfer window.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

Although, president Silvio Berlusconi has said that Balotelli and former Chelsea striker Didier Drogba, 34, would be too expensive.

Full story: Gazzetta dello Sport (in Italian)

Manchester City sporting director Txiki Begiristain flew to Brazil last week for talks to sign Santos' £32m-rated striker Neymar. He spent two days there to open talks to sign the 22-year-old Brazilian.

Full story: Sunday Telegraph

Aston Villa striker Christian Benteke, 22, has revealed his Belgium colleague Eden Hazard, 22, dreams of quitting Chelsea for Real Madrid.

Full story: the Sun on Sunday

Arsene Wenger will try to sign Atletico Madrid striker Adrian Lopez, 24, instead of Barcelona's David Villa because he is concerned about paying too much for a 31-year-old.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Hall has played a for a number of clubs, including Newcastle, Wigan, Southampton and QPR
Hall has played a for a number of clubs, including Newcastle, Wigan, Southampton and QPR

Newcastle striker Demba Ba, 27, has rejected an £80,000-a week offer from Premier League strugglers Queen's Park Rangers.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

The north east club want to complete all their business in the January window as early as possible, and hope to be able to announce the signing of France and Marseille striker Loic Remy, 25, on 1 January. Manager Alan Pardew also wants to add a right-back and a centre-back.

Full story: The Journal

Veteran Stoke midfielder Rory Delap, 36, is looking to leave the club in January after playing just 10 minutes in the Premier League so far this season.

Full story: Daily Star Sunday

Australia international Terry Antonis, 19, has signed a new contract at Sydney FC, despite rumours the attacking midfielder was headed to Fulham.

Full story: Brisbane Times

Chelsea will offer Tottenham £6m for Cameroon defender Benoit Assou-Ekotto, 28.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Arsenal are weighing up a January move for Sunderland's Belgian goalkeeper Simon Mignolet, 24.

Full story: Metro

Several clubs are monitoring Fitz Hall's contract situation after the 32-year-old impressed at Watford. The centre-back's current one-year deal expires in the summer.

Full story: skysports.com

OTHER GOSSIP

West Ham could let manager Sam Allardyce leave the club in the summer. Talks over a new deal have yet to begin, with his current contract due to expire in six months.

Full story: Sunday Mirror

Vlaar has not played for Villa since the 0-0 draw with Arsenal on 24 November
Vlaar has not played for Villa since the 0-0 draw with Arsenal on 24 November

Manchester United are set to offer defender Rio Ferdinand, 34, a one-year contract extension to take his Old Trafford career into a 12th season.

Full story: Daily Star Sunday

Aston Villa captain Ron Vlaar, 27, has been told he faces a battle to regain his starting spot in defence after the form of young trio Chris Herd, Ciaran Clark and Nathan Baker since his absence due to a calf injury.

Full story: Birmingham Mail

Former England manager Steve McClaren says he would like to work for the FA again in a role "coaching the coaches" in England when his managerial career is over.

Full story: The Guardian

Arsenal will lose some of their £30m-a-year sponsorship from main backers Emirates if the club fail to qualify for the Champions League in the future.

Full story: Mail on Sunday

AND FINALLY

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez was furious with striker Franco Di Santo, 23, after he was sent off the pitch against Arsenal - because he was wearing an earring.

Full story: Metro

AC Milan players have recorded a version of Wham's Last Christmas for their fans.

Full story: Metro

Top Stories