Ricky Burns confident ahead of Jose Gonzalez bout
WBO lightweight champion Ricky Burns insists there will be no sign of "ring-rust" when he defends his world title in Glasgow on Saturday.
Burns has not fought for eight months after two planned defences collapsed at short notice.
The Coatbridge fighter defends his belt against Puerto Rican Jose Gonzales at the Emirates Arena but says he will be ready for the fight.
"I'm good to go," said the Scotsman. "There will be no ring-rust."
The contest will be the 30-year-old's first since switching to Barry Hearn's Matchroom Sport promotions company.
Burns, who has won 35 of his 37 professional contests, has been tipped for meetings with WBC champion Adrien Broner or Miguel Vazquez, holder of the IBF title, should he defeat Gonzalez.
The Scot has not fought since beating Kevin Mitchell in September because his last two planned fights were both called off at short notice.
"It's been disappointing, the last couple of fights falling through," said Burns. "But I had been in full camps for both fights, so it's not as if I was out the gym the whole time.
"The countdown is on. We're a few days away. The preparations have been leading up to this and I just want to get on with it now.
"I've treated this fight the same as any other fight. I just want to get in there and get on with it."
Burns stood toe-to-toe with his 29-year-old challenger, who arrives in Scotland with 17 knockouts from an 22-fight record, at the media conference.
However, the Scot refrained from the body-language analysis that usually accompanies those type of picture opportunities.
"Going with his record," said Burns. "He's a big puncher. It's one of those things - whatever happens on the night is going to happen.
"I've been in with big punchers before and got through them okay.
"Whatever he brings to the table, the way my training has went, I know I'm going to be able to deal with it."