World super-middleweight champion Carl Froch says he "would not get out of bed" to defend his IBF title against James DeGale.
Froch was branded a "coward" by mandatory challenger DeGale, 28, who beat Marco Antonio Periban on Saturday.
However, Froch refuses to compromise as he continues to consider retirement if he does not get a fight in Las Vegas.
"I'm just not motivated to fight another British kid in Britain," Froch, 37, told BBC Radio Nottingham.
"If I was told tomorrow by my promoter that I would be fighting DeGale in the early part of next year I don't think that it'd get me out of bed in the morning to go running."
The IBF and WBA title holder from Nottingham confirmed that talks between his promoter and representatives of Mexico's Julio Cesar Chavez Jr continue in the United States for a fight in Las Vegas.
"He is optimistic something can be done," said Froch.
Froch has previously said that DeGale was not a big enough name to entice him into the ring.
Having beaten George Groves in May in front of 80,000 fans at Wembley, Froch says he is not concerned about vacating his IBF crown if he fails to take DeGale on.
"The problem with fighting DeGale is that it would be in Britain again, maybe at the O2 in London, and it will sort of be Groundhog Day for me - I've been there and done it," said Froch.
"If I fight Chavez for no belt or for the IBF and WBA it will still be just as big news on both sides of the Atlantic.
"To have my name up in lights at the end of what has been a fantastic career would really be something that motivates me, gets me excited and would get me in the best shape to fight."