Anthony Joshua: New champion will 'walk through' Tyson Fury

Media playback is not supported on this device

'He's a kid' Joshua responds to Fury jibe

Anthony Joshua says he will "walk through" fellow British world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury on his way to unifying the division.

The 26-year-old became IBF heavyweight champion with a stunning second-round stoppage of American Charles Martin.

Fury will defend his three versions of the world title against Wladimir Klitschko in Manchester on 9 July.

"I'm going to walk through Fury when he's ready," said Joshua. "I mean business and I'm here to stay."

More on Joshua's victory over Martin
Read Ben Dirs' fight report from London's O2 Arena
Relive how Joshua became a world champion
Podcast: Joshua wants to make a 'real noise'

Immediately after the fight, Fury, who says he bet £1,000 on Joshua losing against Martin, tweeted: "So AJ gets a belt, but he looked slow and ponderous, and still looked like a bodybuilder. Let me slay the lamb."

Joshua and Fury, 27, had been trading insults on social media in the build-up to the former's fight against the previously unbeaten Martin.

It was hardly a contest at The O2 Arena on Saturday as the Olympic champion, in only his 16th professional fight, knocked down his opponent twice in the second round with two devastating right hands.

Listen to BBC Radio 5 live's Mike Costello describe the closing moments of the fight

"I'm only quarter of the way there," Joshua told Sky Sports Box Office, referring to his plan to unify the division.

"There's still a lot of work to be done. I've done two rounds, so I'll go to the changing rooms and work on the pads.

Anthony Joshua
Anthony Joshua celebrated victory with his father Jonathan

"I've got people like David Haye and Tyson Fury calling me out so I need to keep improving. Every fight gets better and better. I want to give value for money and I appreciate the ongoing support of the fans."

Martin, 29, admitted he could not deal with Joshua's power and said he lost his title, which he only won in January, to the "better man".

"I got hit by a right hand I didn't see and that cost me the fight," said Martin. "I was OK but the referee came over at six, I got to the knee at seven, took a breath and when I stood up he was at 10.

"He's not difficult to fight. He's a great fighter, I want to say that, it was just that his right hand was fast, I didn't see the right. He's got good speed."

Joshua will fight me first - Haye

Former world heavyweight champion David Haye believes he will face Joshua before the Watford-born boxer is granted a shot at Fury.

The 35-year-old fights unknown Kosovan Arnold Gjergjaj in the second bout of his comeback on 21 May and has then lined up a meeting with American Shannon Briggs.

Haye, who pulled out of two scheduled fights with Fury in 2013, says he and Joshua would provide "probably the biggest ever British heavyweight clash".

"Joshua will defend his title, he won't fight Tyson Fury in the next two fights," Haye told Sportsweek. "Fury has his work cut out with Wladimir Klitschko - he needs to worry about that before anyone else.

"Tyson Fury is very difficult to deal with. I can't see him and his team doing a deal with Eddie Hearn [Joshua's promoter].

"I believe Anthony Joshua wants two defences. Ideally we both win our fights and square off for probably the biggest ever British heavyweight clash."

Haye was "proud" to see Olympic champion Joshua win a world title.

"It was the smoothest and easiest way I've seen someone win a world title," he added.

"Potential-wise, physically, technically, he looks like he's doing everything right."

Top Stories