Carl Frampton says rematch with Santa Cruz is agreed

Leo Santa Cruz suffered his first defeat at the hands of Carl Frampton
Leo Santa Cruz suffered his first defeat at the hands of Carl Frampton

Belfast boxer Carl Frampton says a deal has been done for him to defend his WBA world featherweight title against former champion Leo Santa Cruz.

Frampton, 29, announced the news on Twitter on Thursday but a date for the fight has not been revealed.

The Northern Irishman beat Santa Cruz, 28, in a thrilling fight in Brooklyn on 30 July.

The points victory made Frampton the first Irishman to win world titles at two different weights.

It is understood the rematch is likely to be staged in Las Vegas in late January.

Earlier this month, Frampton's trainer Shane McGuigan said talks had started about a possible world featherweight unification showdown with Welshman Lee Selby.

Frampton, who had previously held the IBF and WBA super bantamweights titles, moved up a weight to take on the unbeaten Santa Cruz in New York.

The classy Mexican was a strong favourite to retain his belt but Frampton delivered on the night for a famous victory.

One judge saw the contest as a draw but the other two had Frampton as a clear victor.

Frampton first became a world champion in September 2014 when beat Spain's Kiko Martinez on a points decision in their IBF super bantamweight clash.

Top Stories