Scott Styris: Sussex FLt20 squad has improved

Media playback is not supported on this device

Styris enjoying T20 globetrotting

Scott Styris believes Sussex's squad for this year's FLt20 competition is stronger than the one which reached the semi-finals last summer.

The Sharks begin their campaign at home to Surrey on Friday evening.

He told BBC Sussex: "We've strengthened with a couple of guys coming to the club, while we played most of last year with just one overseas player.

"We've definitely got a stronger side, but it is up to us to play as well as we did last year."

Rory Hamilton-Brown and West Indies all-rounder Dwayne Smith are both back at Hove, having helped Sussex win the Twenty20 Cup in 2009, while winter recruit Chris Jordan, the leading wicket-taker in the County Championship this season, offers Sussex cricket manager Mark Robinson a fresh option.

"I played with Dwayne when we won the IPL (Indian Premier League) with Deccan Chargers. I know how destructive he is," 37-year-old Styris continued.

"We have as many as nine bowling options within the team. We can hopefully counter any pitch conditions, any opposition or style of batsmen we come up against with different options and players.

"That is always an indication of a strong squad."

Sussex have progressed from the group stage in five of the last six seasons, but Styris says they must remain grounded to continue that record this year.

"It's a cliché but we'll have to take it one game at a time," the New Zealander said.

"What we did last year was never get too far ahead of ourselves and think about finals day or quarter-finals until we were confirmed as being there.

"We start again the same as everybody else and we must make sure we win each game as we come across it. The rest of the competition will take care of itself."

Top Stories