West Indies collapsed tour of India must spark change - Ian Bishop

Dwayne Bravo (left) informed the West Indies Cricket Board that the players would end their tour
Dwayne Bravo (left) informed the West Indies Cricket Board that the players would end their India tour

West Indies cricket must treat the collapse of their tour of India as a "wake-up call", according to their former fast bowler Ian Bishop.

The Windies left India after Friday's fourth one-day match because of a pay dispute between board and players.

"It must be a wake-up call because any team who was going to invite the West Indies to their shores - this will be at the back of their mind," he said.

"I don't think the players understood the ramifications of such a move."

Speaking on BBC Radio 5 live, Bishop also says the threat of legal action by the Board of Control for Cricket in India could be crippling.

"[The BCCI] must be aware that if they bankrupt West Indies it reduces the spectacle of world cricket," he said.

In addition to threatening legal action against the West Indies Cricket Board (WICB), the BCCI has suspended tours to West Indies, including scheduled fixtures in the Caribbean in February and March 2016.

"The revenue that the West Indies cricket board would have gained would have spilled into their grassroots cricket," added Bishop, who played 43 Tests and 84 ODIs

He said the future of the West Indies team was under threat but that he was confident a solution would be found if administration at the WICB improved.

Ian Bishop celebrates for West Indies
Ian Bishop took 161 Test wickets for West Indies

After losing their fourth one-day international to India last week, West Indies ended their tour, with the WICB stating that captain Dwayne Bravo had told them the players were withdrawing their services.

He is one of a number of senior players from the West Indies Players' Association who rejected a new agreement with the WICB that outlines pay and conditions.

The West Indies' withdrawal came with five matches still scheduled on the tour and India will now play Sri Lanka, starting on 2 November.

The International Cricket Council said the dispute between the two teams prompted "concern" and will discuss the issue in its board meeting on 10 November.

Top Stories