Surrey’s Rory Burns and Moises Henriques in hospital after collision

Moises Henriques
Moises Henriques has played three Test matches for Australia

Surrey's T20 Blast game against Sussex was abandoned after Rory Burns and Moises Henriques collided on the field and were taken to hospital.

Surrey's Burns, 24, and Henriques, 28, needed on-pitch treatment at Arundel after trying to take a catch.

After a long delay, it was announced at the ground that they were conscious.

Surrey tweetedexternal-link later that Henriques had broken his jaw in three places and needed surgery, while Burns required stitches to head and facial injuries.

"Rory and Moises are both in good spirits in hospital. Rory is waiting to have stitches on head and facial injuries," said the club.

"Moises has broken his jaw in three places and is waiting to have an operation. Dental surgery will follow."

Umpires Jeremy Lloyds and Alex Wharf halted play following the incident in the 19th over of Sussex's innings on Sunday.

Three ambulances arrived on the outfield shortly after the collision and both players were taken away in the emergency vehicles about 45 minutes later.

Rory Burns and Moises Henriques
Both players received a round of applause when they were taken away by ambulance

BBC London's cricket correspondent Mark Church described the incident as the worst he had seen in a cricket match.

He said both players tried to take the same catch, Australian Henriques backpedalling from backward point with Burns running in from the boundary.

"It was a horrible incident that nobody wants to see happen on a cricket field," said Church, who has been covering the sport for about 15 years.

"Both players were looking into the sky, looking for the catch, and went straight into each other.

"The atmosphere in the ground was very quiet as the players received treatment. If you saw that in the street you would be very upset to see it. It was awful."

Former England player Chris Adams, who played for Sussex and coached Surrey, said the decision to abandon the match was the correct one.

Rory Burns
Rory Burns was playing in his first T20 match of the season

"Not one person in that ground showed displeasure at that decision, in fact there was a round of applause when it was abandoned," he told BBC Sussex.

"Well done to the authorities, particularly the medical teams who were out there very, very swiftly.

"It was a sickening collision and they got absolutely brilliant treatment and attention."

Henriques, who has played three Tests, six one-day internationals and four T20 internationals for Australia, joined Surrey in April as an overseas player for their T20 Blast campaign.

Surrey-born Burns, a left-handed batsman and occasional wicketkeeper, made his first-class debut for the county in 2012.

Sussex were 141-7 after 18.4 overs when the collision happened.

About 8,500 fans were watching the match, with Kevin Pietersen making his final appearance for Surrey before going to play in the Caribbean Premier League.

Surrey's County Championship Division Two game against Glamorgan at Guildford, which starts on Monday, will go ahead as normal.

Surrey team-mates tweet their support

Kevin Pietersen
Former England batsman Kevin Pietersen was playing alongside the pair for Surrey at Arundel
Kumar Sangakkara
Surrey's former Sri Lanka captain Kumar Sangakkara did not play as he is currently on international duty