T20 Blast: Glamorgan suffer defeat at home to Surrey

By Dafydd PritchardBBC Wales Sport at SSE Swalec Stadium, Cardiff
Chris Cooke
Glamorgan's Chris Cooke was dismissed for one run by Surrey
T20 Blast, SSE Swalec Stadium
Surrey 146 for 8 (20.0 overs)
Glamorgan 127 all out (19.3 overs)
Surrey won by 19 runs
Match scorecard

Glamorgan suffered a third successive T20 Blast defeat against Surrey to leave their hopes of reaching the last eight hanging by a thread.

Jason Roy struck 61 from 47 balls as Surrey posted 146-8, with Glamorgan's Dean Cosker claiming career-best T20 figures of 4-25.

Glamorgan's reply never got going, stifled by Azhar Mahmood's spell of 3-14 as they were bowled out for 127.

Surrey climb off the bottom of South Group, with Glamorgan seventh.

With five games left to reclaim their place in the top four, the Welsh county can ill afford another defeat if they are to reach the knockout stages.

Glamorgan won the toss and elected to bowl first, but the visitors made a strident start with opener Roy in destructive form.

The England batsman launched one Michael Hogan delivery into the River Taff as he struck 61 from 47 balls to give Surrey a strong platform.

Surrey’s Dean Elgar celebrates after claiming the wicket of David Lloyd
Surrey’s Dean Elgar celebrates after claiming the wicket of David Lloyd

But when Roy was well caught by a diving Hogan from Cosker's bowling, Surrey fell from 104-1 to 115-4.

Glamorgan's spinners claimed all four of those wickets, with another for Cosker and one each for Andrew Salter and Colin Ingram as the hosts took the pace off the ball and applied the brakes to their opponents' run-rate.

Cosker struck twice again - with Mahmood stumped and Ben Foakes caught in the deep - for career-best T20 figures of 4-25 as Surrey finished on 146-8.

Glamorgan made a shaky start to their reply, with South African internationals Jacques Rudolph and Colin Ingram both caught behind cheaply before Chris Cooke was run out at the non-striker's end by bowler James Burke's deflection to leave the hosts 45-3 after six overs.

Wagg was the third to be caught by wicket-keeper Gary Wilson as he edged a Mahmood delivery to depart for a duck, and the former Pakistan seamer claimed a third wicket as he dismissed Glamorgan danger man Craig Meschede leg before for 31.

After 10 overs the hosts found themselves precariously placed at 60-6, owing much to Mahmood's masterfully tight bowling.

Mark Wallace and Wayne Parnell temporarily stemmed the flow of wickets as they shared a 34-run stand, which was ended when the former was caught at deep mid-wicket by Ben Foakes.

Parnell was the next to go for 24, followed by Cosker, both caught as they attempted ambitious shots off the bowling of Sam Curran.

Glamorgan's fate was eventually sealed in the final over as Hogan was caught at deep mid-off by Curran from the bowling of Burke to complete Surrey's comprehensive win.