Australian all-rounder Dan Christian has agreed to extend his stay with Nottinghamshire following their elimination from the T20 Blast.
The 32-year-old was originally signed for the game's shortest format only.
But Christian has now agreed to remain at Trent Bridge for at least their first three games in the 50-over One-Day Cup against Warwickshire, Glamorgan and Sussex.
"We will reassess at the end of that," said director of cricket Mick Newell.
Notts bowed out of the T20 Blast on Friday when their final group game against Leicestershire was abandoned because of rain.
The point gained for a no-result put them briefly into the top-four in North Group, but they were eliminated when Lancashire's match at Worcestershire suffered the same fate.
"It wasn't about tonight, it was about the results earlier in the competition," said Newell.
"We've beaten all the teams which have finished in the top four at least once, so we only have ourselves to blame.
"Going out is a big blow to the players and the club, the fact we'd reached the quarter-finals in the previous five years was obviously a sequence we wanted to continue."
Meanwhile, batsman Alex Hales has criticised the scheduling of county cricket this summer.
"I'd be amazed if one cricketer in the country enjoys this schedule. Changing formats every week is detrimental to skill level," the England limited-overs international posted on Twitter.