Vuelta a Espana: Alberto Contador leads after time trial
Alberto Contador claimed the lead of the Vuelta a Espana as Britain's Chris Froome fell more than a minute behind after the time trial on stage 10.
World time trial champion Tony Martin won the stage while former leader Nairo Quintana crashed and lost valuable time as he slipped to 11th in the standings.
Spain's Contador finished 53 seconds ahead of Froome, who would usually look to make up time in the discipline.
Alejandro Valverde is second going into Wednesday's 153.4km stage.
Team Sky's Froome, who is back from injury after crashing out of the Tour de France, lost 28 seconds to Contador after reaching the top of the sole climb on the technical 36.7km route from Real Monasterio de Santa Maria de Veruela to Borja.
And he lost more time on the way to the finish as he dropped to one minute 18 seconds off the lead, in fifth place.
Quintana lost three minutes and 28 seconds on the stage to Tinkoff-Saxo's Contador after he crashed into road barriers and went over his handlebars.
The Colombian was slow to get up before getting on a spare bike to resume the race, which finishes on 14 September.
Stage 10 results:
1. Tony Martin (Ger/Omega Pharma-Quick-Step) 47:02"
2. Rigoberto Uran (Col/Omega Pharma-Quick-Step) +15"
3. Fabian Cancellara (Swi/Trek) +18"
4. Alberto Contador (Spa/ Tinkoff-Saxo) +39"
5. Samuel Sanchez (Spa/BMC) +48"
6. Cadel Evans (Aus/BMC) +49"
7. Vasil Kiryienka (Blr/Team Sky) +58"
8. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar) +1:01"
9. Jesse Sergent (NZ/Trek) +1:13"
10. Chris Froome (GB/Team Sky) +1:32"
Overall classification after stage 10:
1. Alberto Contador (Spa/ Tinkoff-Saxo) 36:45:49"
2. Alejandro Valverde (Spa/Movistar) +27"
3. Rigoberto Uran (Col/Omega Pharma-Quick-Step) +59"
4. Winner Anacona (Col/Lampre) +1:12"
5. Chris Froome (GB/Team Sky) +1:18"
6. Joaquim Rodriguez (Spa/Katusha) +1:37"
7. Samuel Sanchez (Spa/BMC) +1:41"
8. Fabio Aru (Ita/Astana) +2:27"
9. Robert Gesink (NED/Belkin) +2:38"
10. Damiano Caruso (Ita/Cannondale) +2:59"