Briton Geraint Thomas finished second in the Tour de Suisse as Simon Spilak took victory by five seconds.
Welshman Thomas started Sunday's time trial as favourite to win the general classification.
He overhauled the 34-second lead of overnight leader Thibaut Pinot (FDJ) but Slovenian Spilak was able to close a 13-second gap on the Team Sky rider.
Tom Dumoulin (Giant-Alpecin) won the stage, 18 seconds ahead of Katusha's Spilak, to take third spot.
Local favourite Fabian Cancellara (Trek Factory) set the third fastest time on the 38.4km stage around Bern, with Thomas down in fifth place, 36 seconds slower than Dumoulin.
Meanwhile, Alberto Contador completed his expected victory at the four-day Route du Sud as Frenchman Bryan Coquard won Sunday's 166km final stage in a sprint finish.
Giro d'Italia champion Contador, 32, will be looking for a third Tour de France title in July, having also won in 2007 and 2009.
Tour de Suisse stage nine result:
1. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Giant) 48mins 36secs
2. Simon Spilak (Slo/Katusha) +18 secs
3. Fabian Cancellara (Swi/Trek) +19secs
4. Adriano Malori (Ita/Movistar) +34 secs
5. Geraint Thomas (GBR/Team Sky) +36secs
Overall classification after stage nine:
1. Simon Spilak (Slo/Katusha) 30hrs 15mins 09secs
2. Geraint Thomas (GBR/Team Sky) +5 secs
3. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Giant) +19 secs
4. Thibaut Pinot (Fra/FDJ) +45 secs
5. Domenico Pozzovivo (Ita/AG2R) +2 mins 21 secs