Giro d'Italia: Simon Yates makes strong start behind winner Primoz Roglic in opening time trial
Britain's Simon Yates made an impressive start to the 2019 Giro d'Italia by finishing second in the opening time trial in Bologna.
Mitchelton-Scott's Yates completed the 8km course in 13 minutes 13 seconds, just 19 seconds behind Primoz Roglic.
Yates won his first Grand Tour at last year's Vuelta a Espana and is one of the main contenders for the Giro.
His rivals Vincenzo Nibali, Miguel Angel Lopez and Tom Dumoulin finished close behind within the top five.
Britain's Tao Geoghegan Hart came seventh riding for Team Ineos in their first Grand Tour since their sponsorship changed from Sky.
Roglic, who finished fourth at last year's Tour de France, is another contender for the overall title and takes the first leader's pink jersey of the race.
Yates won three stages at last year's Giro and spent two weeks in the leader's jersey before Chris Froome went on a solo attack on stage 19 to secure a dramatic victory.
"I did all I could," Yates said after Saturday's stage. "I'm happy the race has started now, I've been looking forward to this for a long time and we're finally here.
"Maybe I went a little bit too easy at the start but that was also the tactic, you can't go full gas start to finish.
"We've seen how [Roglic] has been going this year. He's in great form so we were expecting him to be either first or second."
Sunday's 205km second stage to Fucecchio features two categorised climbs ahead of a flat finish.
Stage one result
1. Primoz Roglic (Slo/Team Jumbo-Visma) 12mins 54secs
2. Simon Yates (GB/Mitchelton-Scott) +19secs
3. Vincenzo Nibali (Ita/Bahrain-Merida) +23secs
4. Miguel Angel Lopez (Col/Astana) +28secs
5. Tom Dumoulin (Ned/Team Sunweb) same time
6. Rafal Majka (Pol/Bora-Hansgrohe) +33secs
7. Tao Geoghegan Hart (GB/Team Ineos) +35secs
8. Laurens de Plus (Bel/Team Jumbo-Visma) same time
9. Bauke Mollema (Ned/Trek-Segafredo +39secs
10. Damiano Caruso (Ita/Bahrain-Merida) +40secs