Paralympics 2012: Welsh competitors in action - day two

Mark Colbourne
Mark Colbourne

Cyclist Mark Colbourne set a new world record to win Wales' first gold medal at the 2012 Paralympic Games.

Colbourne, who won silver in the C1-2-3 time trial, went one better in the C1 three kilometre individual pursuit in a world record time of 3:53.881.

Elsewhere, Welshman Aled Sion Davies won Great Britain's first athletics medal of the Games with bronze in the shot put.

Davies, 21, came third in the F42/44 shot put with a throw of 13.78m.

"To be honest I didn't expect it," Davies told BBC Radio 5 live.

"I'm just overwhelmed. I can't believe it, I honestly can't.

"I heard a lot of Olympians talk about the atmosphere. You cannot imagine and describe how electric it is in here.

"It was a really hard competition but I was confident. There were some big champions and world record holders so I knew I had to pull something big out of the bag."

Colbourne was also delighted after claiming his second medal of the Games.

"It's a dream come true for me," said Colbourne, who broke his back in a paragliding accident in 2009.

"I only had 18 months (to prepare). We had to raise the bar, increase the training and push me to my limits. Today was the result of all of that.

"When you go through a life-changing experience you deal with it as best as you possibly can.

"All the hard work has paid off. It was well worth it."

In the Athletics Stadium, Rhys Jones finished fifth in his T37 200m heat and qualified as the fastest loser but came last in the final.

Elsewhere in the evening session, Jordan Howe finished fourth in his heat of the T35 100m to qualify for Saturday's final.

At the Aquatics Centre, Morgyn Peters finished second in his heat to qualify for the S9 100m Backstroke final where he finished fifth.

The qualifying rounds of the table tennis saw Rob Davies defeat Quinlan Philip 3-0. Davies will now play Jean-Francois Ducay, while Paul Davies beat Andrea Borgato by the same score and will face Andreas Vevera. Both matches will take place on Saturday morning.

Paul Karabardak won 3-0 against Kim Young Sung but Scott Robertson lost 3-0 to Rene Taus. It was Robertson's second defeat from two games. Sara Head recorded a 3-2 victory over beat Hyun Ja Choi of the Republic of Korea to progress to the next round.

In the rowing at Eton Dorney, Welshman Sam Scowen and Nick Beighton finished second in the heats of the mixed doubles sculls. The pair will take part in the repechage on Saturday as only heat winners go straight through to final.

Great Britain's women's Sitting Volleyball team, including Welsh players Amy Brierley, Sam Bowen and Jess O'Brien, lost 3-0 to Ukraine at the ExCel Arena on Friday morning.

And following defeat against the Netherlands in their opening game, Clare Strange and the GB women's wheelchair basketball team lost 51-24 to Australia in their second game.

Archer Pippa Britton missed out on qualification for the quarter-finals when she was beaten 6-4 by Spain's Maria Rubio Larrion in the compound bow.

Sam Scott and James Roberts were part of the men's Sitting Volleyball team that lost 3-0 to Egypt, while the Great Britain's five-a-side football team, including Keryn Seal and Darren Harris, drew 1-1 in a Pool A match against Spain.

Top Stories