Welsh Premier/non-League round-up


Welsh Premier logo


Prestatyn 2-0 Port Talbot (Sat): Lee Hunt struck in either half to give Prestatyn victory. The visitors faced a mountain to climb as early as the 15th minute when Liam McCreesh was sent off.


Carmarthen 1-0 Haverfordwest County (Fri): Bottom club Haverfordwest failed to exploit Carmarthen 10-men as Nick Harrhy's 54th-minute goal secured all three points for the home side. The visitors were given hope when Sacha Walters was shown a red card shortly before the break for foul and abusive language.

Newtown 2-1 Bala (Sat): A Ross Jefferies own-goal a minute from time handed the three points to Newtown at Latham Park. The visitors had been in front since the 59th minute thanks to Chris Mason's penalty. Newtown equalised from the spot as Craig Whitfield converted from 12 yards.

Aberystwyth 2-0 Airbus (Sun): Aberystwyth closed the gap to just a point behind Airbus in the race for a Conference play-off spot after goals in each half from James McCarten and Bari Morgan. Both sides ended the match with 10 men after Aber's Conall Murtagh and Leon Clowes from Airbus were shown a red card for seperate incidents inside the final 10 minutes.


Bangor 1-0 Connah's Quay: Neville Powell's incredible unbeaten Welsh Cup run continued as his Bangor City side reached the Welsh Cup final for the fourth successive season.

A superb Chris Jones effort six minutes from time gave the holders a 1-0 semi-final victory over Connah's Quay Nomads at Rhyl's Belle Vue ground.

Llanelli 1-0 The New Saints: A late Chris Venables goal gave Llanelli victory over The New Saints at Aberystwyth.

Venables kept his cool to slot home with his left foot after a neat one-two with Jordan Fellows at the edge of the box.

Craig Jones wasted the best chance for the Saints, who were unbeaten in all competitions since October, when he fired over the bar from eight yards with only the goalkeeper to beat.


Buxton 0-0 Colwyn Bay (Sat): Defences were on top as both sides settled for a point after a stalemate.Colwyn Bay stay in second place, 14 points behind leaders FC Halifax Town and six points ahead of third-place FC United of Manchester.


Merthyr Town 5-1 Gillingham Town (Sat): Having secured promotion last week, Merthyr wrapped up the league title with a thumping home win against Gillingham Town.