Burnley 2-1 Swansea
Swansea's automatic promotion hopes receded after a calamitous second half allowed Burnley to snatch victory.
Darren Pratley and Scott Sinclair both hit the woodwork for Swansea, before Fabio Borini sprung the offside trap to give the visitors the lead.
But Burnley were soon level when Ashley Williams could only slice Chris Eagles' cross into his own net.
Eagles then sealed the win from the penalty spot after Angel Rangel was adjudged to have shoved Jay Rodriguez.
Burnley's afternoon was completed by the appearance off the bench of Graham Alexander, two minutes from time.
The defender became just the second outfield player after Tony Ford to make 1000 career appearances in English football, Alexander nearly capping his landmark with a goal only to see his shot cannon off the bar.
Victory ended the Clarets' barren run of four consecutive Championship defeats and reignited hope that Eddie Howe's men could make a late charge at the play-off places.
Swansea are now five points behind second-placed Cardiff with four games remaining, while Burnley are five points off sixth-placed Leeds with a game in hand.
Eagles had an early chance to put the Clarets in front but he fired wide from the edge of the penalty area.
Swansea started to take control and midfielder Darren Pratley almost marked his return to the Swans' starting line-up with a goal 17 minutes in, but his effort from 12 yards struck the post.
Andre Bikey spurned an opportunity to put Burnley ahead against the run of play when he headed wide.
But the visitors continued to press and were denied by the woodwork again when Pratley picked out Sinclair and the former Chelsea winger's header came back off the bar.
Borini was wasteful eight minutes before the break when he fired wide of Brian Jensen's goal as Swansea failed to reward their dominance with a half-time lead.
But the Italian, on loan from Chelsea, made no mistake eight minutes after the break when he broke the offside trap, raced onto Pratley's through ball and then kept his composure to slot the ball past Jensen.
Swansea were caught cold two minutes later though, when Eagles' strike flicked off Williams and deceived keeper Dorus De Vries to peg the Welsh side back.
Chris Iwelumo had a chance to put Burnley in front in the 66th minute when he rose to meet Daniel Fox's free-kick but the big striker headed wide from just six yards out.
Swans boss Brendan Rodgers brought on strike duo Luke Moore and Tamas Priskin as the visitors went in search of a precious victory.
But they were stunned when Burnley snatched all three points from the penalty spot 15 minutes from time.
Rangel was adjudged to have clattered into the back of Rodriguez as the striker jumped for a cross, and Eagles stepped up to beat De Vries from 12 yards out.
Live text and stats
Saturday, 16 April 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 12 Jensen
- 03 Fox yellow card
- 04 Duff yellow card
- 14 Mears yellow card
- 21 Bikey
- 06 Cork
- 08 Marney
- 11 Elliott
- 33 Eagles (Alexander 87)
- 19 Rodriguez (Thompson 90+5)
- 26 Delfouneso (Iwelumo 55)
- 01 Grant,
- 02 Alexander,
- 05 Carlisle,
- 25 Duffy,
- 22 Wallace,
- 09 Iwelumo,
- 30 Thompson
- 01 De Vries
- 02 Williams
- 03 Taylor
- 16 Monk
- 22 Rangel
- 08 Pratley (Moore 68)
- 12 Dyer (Dobbie 82)
- 21 Sinclair yellow card (Priskin 68)
- 27 Gower yellow card
- 37 Britton
- 15 Borini yellow card
- 25 Ma-Kalambay,
- 05 Tate,
- 10 Orlandi,
- 09 Beattie,
- 14 Dobbie,
- 19 Moore,
- 30 Priskin
- Burnley 51%
- Swansea 49%
Attempts on target
- Burnley 4
- Swansea 5
Attempts off target
- Burnley 7
- Swansea 7
- Burnley 7
- Swansea 1
- Burnley 14
- Swansea 8
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+8:10 The referee signals the end of the game.
- 90:00+6:49 Unfair challenge on Jack Cork by Ashley Williams results in a free kick. Graham Alexander restarts play with the free kick.
- 90:00+4:37 Substitution Jay Rodriguez goes off and Steven Thompson comes on.
- 90:00+0:22 Fabio Borini produces a right-footed shot from inside the area that clears the bar.
- 88:49 Stephen Dobbie has an effort at goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand post.
- 88:29 Chris Iwelumo is ruled offside. Dorus De Vries restarts play with the free kick.
- 86:27 Substitution Graham Alexander comes on in place of Chris Eagles.
- 84:19 Free kick crossed right-footed by Mark Gower from right wing, clearance made by Jay Rodriguez.
- 84:19 Booking Daniel Fox goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 84:12 Unfair challenge on Fabio Borini by Daniel Fox results in a free kick.
- 81:31 Substitution Stephen Dobbie replaces Nathan Dyer.
- 79:56 Corner taken right-footed by Wade Elliott from the left by-line, Nathan Dyer manages to make a clearance.
- 78:03 Jay Rodriguez gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Leon Britton. Angel Rangel restarts play with the free kick.
- 76:48 GOAL - Chris Eagles:Burnley 2 - 1 Swansea Power penalty scored by Chris Eagles. Burnley 2-1 Swansea.
- 75:18 Jay Rodriguez fouled by Angel Rangel, the ref awards a Penalty.
- 74:45 Jay Rodriguez takes a shot. Dorus De Vries gets a block in.
- 74:03 Direct free kick taken by Tyrone Mears.
- 74:03 Booking The referee cautions Fabio Borini for unsporting behaviour.
- 73:44 Jack Cork fouled by Fabio Borini, the ref awards a free kick.
- 72:09 The assistant referee flags for offside against Luke Moore. Brian Jensen restarts play with the free kick.
- 68:58 Andre Bikey gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Luke Moore. Mark Gower takes the direct free kick.
- 66:07 Substitution Tamas Priskin on for Scott Sinclair.
- 66:07 Substitution Darren Pratley leaves the field to be replaced by Luke Moore.
- 66:07 Daniel Fox delivers the ball, Close range header by Chris Iwelumo goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 66:07 Booking Scott Sinclair goes into the referee's book.
- 65:46 Unfair challenge on Tyrone Mears by Scott Sinclair results in a free kick.
- 64:46 Foul by Garry Monk on Michael Duff, free kick awarded. Michael Duff takes the free kick.
- 63:48 The official flags Chris Iwelumo offside. Indirect free kick taken by Dorus De Vries.
- 62:55 Corner taken by Daniel Fox played to the near post, clearance by Angel Rangel.
- 62:18 Fabio Borini gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Andre Bikey. Brian Jensen takes the indirect free kick.
- 60:48 Neil Taylor takes a shot. Brian Jensen gets a block in.
- 57:33 Shot from just outside the area by Dean Marney goes over the bar.
- 56:35 GOAL - Ashley Williams:Burnley 1 - 1 Swansea Own goal by Ashley Williams. Burnley 1-1 Swansea.
- 54:42 Corner taken left-footed by Daniel Fox.
- 54:42 Substitution Chris Iwelumo comes on in place of Nathan Delfouneso.
- 53:26 Free kick awarded for a foul by Jay Rodriguez on Leon Britton. Dorus De Vries takes the direct free kick.
- Correction - 52:04 Assist on the goal came from Darren Pratley.
- Correction - 52:04 GOAL - Fabio Borini:Burnley 0 - 1 Swansea A goal is scored by Fabio Borini from inside the penalty area to the bottom left corner of the goal. Burnley 0-1 Swansea.
- 52:04 The assist for the goal came from Darren Pratley.
- 52:04 GOAL - Garry Monk:Burnley 0 - 1 Swansea Garry Monk grabs a goal from deep inside the penalty box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Burnley 0-1 Swansea.
- 50:40 Unfair challenge on Fabio Borini by Tyrone Mears results in a free kick. Mark Gower restarts play with the free kick.
- 49:31 Corner taken by Daniel Fox from the right by-line, Headed effort from inside the area by Jay Rodriguez misses to the left of the target.
- 48:54 Michael Duff takes the direct free kick.
- 48:54 Booking Mark Gower goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 48:45 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mark Gower on Jack Cork.
- 47:48 Shot comes in from Mark Gower from the free kick, Brian Jensen makes a save.
- 47:48 Booking Tyrone Mears goes into the referee's book for unsporting behaviour.
- 47:37 Free kick awarded for a foul by Tyrone Mears on Nathan Dyer.
- 45:24 Fabio Borini produces a right-footed shot from deep inside the penalty box which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 45:01 The game restarts for the second half.
- Half Time
- 45:00+1:14 The players leave the pitch at half time.
- 45:00+0:31 Nathan Delfouneso takes a shot. Blocked by Ashley Williams. Dean Marney has an effort at goal from outside the area missing to the wide right of the target.
- 43:20 Free kick awarded for a foul by Tyrone Mears on Scott Sinclair. Ashley Williams restarts play with the free kick.
- 42:27 Free kick awarded for a foul by Daniel Fox on Nathan Dyer. Direct free kick taken by Dorus De Vries.
- 37:01 Fabio Borini has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the left of the target.
- 35:23 Corner taken left-footed by Wade Elliott.
- 29:31 Jack Cork gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Scott Sinclair. Mark Gower delivers the ball, Garry Monk takes a shot. Save by Brian Jensen.
- 26:16 Nathan Dyer is penalised for a handball. Indirect free kick taken by Brian Jensen.
- 25:50 Free kick awarded for a foul by Mark Gower on Wade Elliott. Free kick taken by Michael Duff.
- 23:07 Strike comes in from Fabio Borini from the free kick.
- 23:07 Booking Michael Duff receives a yellow card.
- 22:39 Michael Duff concedes a free kick for a foul on Garry Monk.
- 21:18 Scott Sinclair takes a shot. Brian Jensen makes a save.
- 19:17 Header by Andre Bikey from deep inside the penalty area misses to the left of the target.
- 18:36 Daniel Fox takes a corner.
- 17:05 Shot by Darren Pratley from deep inside the penalty area hits the post.
- 14:50 The ball is sent over by Chris Eagles.
- 11:30 Jay Rodriguez takes a shot. Blocked by Ashley Williams. Wade Elliott has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box which goes wide right of the target.
- 10:48 A cross is delivered by Mark Gower. Inswinging corner taken from the right by-line by Daniel Fox.
- 10:11 Darren Pratley fouled by Jack Cork, the ref awards a free kick. Indirect free kick taken by Darren Pratley.
- 8:47 Shot from just outside the box by Scott Sinclair misses to the left of the goal.
- 7:55 Unfair challenge on Neil Taylor by Chris Eagles results in a free kick. Mark Gower takes the free kick.
- 6:21 Scott Sinclair takes a short corner.
- 6:01 Jay Rodriguez takes a shot. Garry Monk gets a block in.
- 3:36 Chris Eagles has an effort at goal from the edge of the box that misses to the right of the target.
- 1:43 Daniel Fox gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Fabio Borini. Angel Rangel takes the direct free kick.
- 0:31 Nathan Dyer fouled by Dean Marney, the ref awards a free kick. The free kick is swung in right-footed by Angel Rangel, blocked by Jay Rodriguez.
- 0:00 The referee starts the match.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.