Linfield 3-2 Glentoran

Linfield are on the brink of the Irish Premiership title after they beat Glentoran in Tuesday's clash.

Nathan Hanley set up Philip Lowry's opener on three minutes and Lowry doubled Linfield's lead on 55 minutes.

Colin Nixon pulled a goal back for Glentoran on 68 but Chris Casement hit a classy third Linfield goal on 81.

Daryl Fordyce replied with an 82nd-minute penalty but while Linfield's Stephen Douglas was sent off in injury-time, the Blues had done enough.

The victory moves Linfield six points ahead of Crusaders with three rounds of games remaining.

A Blues victory over Cliftonville at Windsor Park on Saturday will earn David Jeffrey's side the title if Crusaders fail to beat Portadown at Seaview.

Despite Linfield's win over the Glens at the Oval on Saturday, Blues boss Jeffrey made four changes with Lowry, Hanley, Michael Carvill and Paul Munster all coming into the starting line-up.

In particular, the inclusions of Hanley and Lowry proved masterstrokes with the duo combining for Linfield's opening two goals.

Lowry nodded in the opener on three minutes after William Murphy had headed back a Hanley corner.

Linfield dominated the opening 30 minutes against a lethargic Glens but Robert Garrett almost gifted the visitors an equaliser as he was caught in possession and Murphy had to produce a brave block to stop Paul Leeman's pointblank effort.

The Glens improved after the break and Alan Blayney produced good saves to deny Jason Hill and Matty Burrows before Munster tested Elliott Morris at the other end.

However, from the resultant corner Lowry rose unchallenged to head Hanley's perfect delivery past Morris.

Sub Neal Gawley wasted a glorious chance to pull a goal back for the Glens after Blayney dropped a cross but the Glens were back in the game on 68 when Nixon stabbed home at the back post.

Casement restored Linfield's two-goal lead with a superb run and finish on 81 but a handball allowed Fordyce to reply from the spot within a minute.

Douglas was harshly sent off at the start of injury-time and Hill's poor challenge - for which he escaped with a booking - caused tempers to fray further on both benches in the closing seconds.

But the Blues held on to take a deserved win.

Top Stories