Sheff Utd 2-2 Barnsley

Sheffield United are relegated to League One after drawing against Barnsley, although even a win would not have been enough to save them.

Danny Haynes's cool finish put the Tykes in front but the hosts levelled via Matthew Lowton after 39 minutes.

Lee Williamson's speculative effort was fumbled into his own net by Luke Steele but Haynes grabbed a late equaliser.

Relegation rivals Crystal Palace and Doncaster assured their survival with draws against Hull and Leicester.

Those results meant United would have gone down even if they had won because the Blades began the day six points adrift of safety with two games to play.

It had looked as if they would take their fate to the final day as they led for much of the second half, with the other results going their way.

But Doncaster's draw with Leicester and Crystal Palace's late equaliser against Hull ensured United will be playing third tier football for the first time since 1989 next season.

For the Barnsley fans, who have had to endure a flat end to the campaign, sending their South Yorkshire rivals down was a moment to savour, but their side have won only one of their past nine games and will be looking forward to the close season.

Despite winning their previous two games there was an air of inevitability around Bramall Lane, with United knowing that even another victory may not be enough to keep them up.

It was a pulsating start to the game and the hosts could twice have taken the lead in the opening five minutes, with Williamson's low drive saved by Steele and Stephen Quinn firing an effort inches wide of the angle.

Barnsley hit back, though, and wasted a golden chance when Jacob Mellis blazed over after ghosting through the Blades defence.

But the Tykes made amends and went ahead with 15 minutes on the clock when Haynes raced clear following Harry Maguire's slip and calmly slotted past Steve Simonsen for his fifth league goal of the season.

Neither defence were covering themselves in much glory with several errors leading to scrambles and last-ditch tackles in both penalty areas.

So it was no surprise when the Blades drew level six minutes before the break when Lowton powered in a header from Williamson's dangerous free-kick.

The home side continued in the ascendancy after the restart and they took the lead thanks to a calamitous error by Barnsley goalkeeper Steele on the hour.

A loose ball fell to Williamson and he drilled in a low effort that Steele inexplicably let through his hands and into the net.

United could not capitalise though and after Simonsen had pulled off a sublime save to deny Kieran Trippier, Barnsley drew level with six minutes remaining.

Haynes stole in to head home Matt Hill's cross and ensure the curtain came down on Championship football at Bramall Lane in disappointing fashion for the hosts.