DR Congo edge out Mauritius

Sanuel Eto'o
Eto'o failed to convert a penalty in the game against Senegal

DR Congo kept themselves in the hunt for a place at next year's Africa Cup of Nations finals with a 2-1 win in Mauritius on Sunday.

On a bright, sunny day in Belle Vue, the home side took the lead after just nine minutes when Jonathan Bru converted a penalty following a foul on Fabrice Pitchia.

But the Congolese hit back through Saudi Arabia-based striker Diba Ilunga.

Kabangu Mulota then grabbed the winning goal in first-half stoppage time.

The victory means DR Congo remain second in Group E, three points behind Senegal.

Mauritius are stranded at the bottom of the group without a single point.

On Saturday, security forces in Yaounde used water cannons late on Saturday to disperse rioting fans angered by Cameroon's 0-0 draw with Senegal.

The draw dimmed the Indomitable Lions' chances of qualifying for the 2012 finals.

Cameroon captain Samuel Eto'o missed an 87th-minute penalty that would have closed the gap on group leaders Senegal, sparking off violence around the Ahmadou Ahidjo stadium and leading him to apologise publicly.

Witnesses said several people were injured in the fracas, and that angry fans smashed car windscreens and tore T-shirts bearing Eto'o's name off the backs of people wearing them.

Late on Saturday, in a brief interview with state television, the Inter Milan striker asked fans to forgive him.

"When I score goals often, you hoist me to the top, but today I missed the penalty which would have given us victory and I take full responsibility for this underperformance," he said.

"I know that the Cameroonian public wants us to win to make them happy.

"But I missed the penalty and I ask forgiveness."

Saturday's draw raised the possibility that the four-time African champions could fail to qualify for the 2012 tournament after eight successive appearances in the finals.

Cameroon have five points from four qualifying matches, leaving them five points behind Group E leaders Senegal.

Rioting also broke out in a suburb of Senegal's capital Dakar on Saturday after a power outage switched off televisions and radios mid-game.

Police used tear gas to break up crowds of rock-throwing fans.

The Teranga Lions will qualify for the Nations Cup if they beat DR Congo in their next game in September.

Cameroon must win their remaining two matches against Mauritius and DR Congo and hope that other results go their way.

Top Stories