Spurs sink Orlando Pirates in Vodacom final

Tottenham Hotspurs and Orlando Pirates come out for the Vodacom final
Luka Modric leads out Tottenham against Orlando Pirates at Ellis Park

Tottenham Hotspur defeated Orlando Pirates 3-0 for the second time in four years in a Vodacom Challenge final in Johannesburg.

Rafael van der Vaart struck either side of half-time for the Premier League outfit at Ellis Park before Jermain Defoe completed the scoring late on.

It was Tottenham's best display during a three-match tour of South Africa.

Elsewhere, Spurs' North London rivals Arsenal beat Germans Cologne 2-1 thanks to a brace from new signing Gervinho.

But winning their first match in the land of the 2010 World Cup hosts, where they lost to Kaizer Chiefs last Saturday before drawing with Pirates on Tuesday, delighted Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp.

"The difference between the teams today was that we took our chances," he said. "It was a good trip to a fantastic country and I hope we are invited again next year."

"Pirates and Chiefs offered good opposition and my players are fitter and stronger after the tour. Now we go home to continue preparing for our first Premier League fixture against Everton."

Spurs were captained for the second consecutive match by want-away Luka Modric, with Chelsea having had two substantial offers for the Croat midfielder rejected.

South Africa captain Steven Pienaar and Brazilian goalkeeper Heurelho Gomes made their tour debuts for Spurs, who took control in the second half after an even opening 45 minutes.

Both teams wasted chances before Van der Vaart scored from a free-kick just outside the box, curling the ball over the wall and into the corner of the goal after 35 minutes.

Pirates were waiting for an offside whistle when Van der Vaart raced through for the second goal eight minutes after half-time with Meyiwa saving his first attempt but unable to prevent a follow-up lob.

Pirates midfielder Tlou Segolela failed to convert a penalty awarded for handball with his effort hitting a post before unmarked Defoe tapped in after 87 minutes from a Gareth Bale cross.

On Thursday, Pirates had beaten great Johannesburg rivals Chiefs to earn their place in the final against the English side.

In Cologne meanwhile, Gervinho scored twice in his first 15 minutes as an Arsenal player - netting just seven minutes into his Gunners debut.

The Ivorian made it 2-0 eight minutes later at the RheinEnergie Stadion before being withdrawn after 29 minutes with what seemed to be a minor knock.