Kilmarnock 0-0 Motherwell

By Andy BurkeBBC Scotland Sport
Tom Hateley (left), Liam Kelly (right)
Neither side could find the breakthrough at Rugby Park

Darren Randolph was in top form in the Motherwell goal as Stuart McCall's men left Rugby Park with a point.

James Dayton was excellent for Killie, regularly testing Randolph and seeing two penalty appeals turned down.

Motherwell's best chance came on 44 minutes, when Robert McHugh lashed a shot from 12 yards towards the top corner, but Cammy Bell was equal to it.

Both sides had a lack of cutting edge in the final third and goalmouth action was at a premium.

Killie started brightly and had a decent claim for a penalty after just three minutes.

Dayton glided into the Motherwell penalty area and knocked the ball past Keith Lasley, who blocked the forward's progress. Referee George Salmond adjudged the collision to be accidental and waved play on.

Motherwell went close through a Steven Hammell corner that found Shaun Hutchison just five yards out, but he glanced a header just over the bar with goalkeeper Bell in no-man's land.

At the other end, Randolph was forced into a terrific save on the half-hour mark.

Dayton, at the heart of all the home side's early attacking moves, drifted out to the right flank and took possession. He came inside on to his left-foot, skipped by a challenge and let-fly from the edge of the area, but Randolph got down low to make an excellent save.

Shaun Hutchinson and James Dayton
Hutchinson and Dayton both had chances for their sides

Motherwell almost took the lead just before half-time through Robert McHugh. The striker took advantage of uncertainty in the home defence to race into the penalty area, but Bell tipped his shot over the bar when it looked destined for the top corner.

The visitors started the second half purposefully and tested Bell in the Killie goal within a minute of the restart.

Steve Jennings took aim from 25 yards and flashed a powerful drive thath had Bell diving at full stretch to turn round the post.

The stalemate was nearly broken at the other end in calamitous fashion.

Hammell played a backpass to Randolph, but the keeper lost his footing when clearing and gifted the ball to Kelly. He could not convert into an empty goal, however, and his effort drifted high over the bar.

Dayton had his second penalty shout of the match when he was again body-checked in the penalty area, this time by Craigan. Having turned down the stronger looking appeal in the first-half, referee Salmond showed no interest in Dayton's protests.

Substitute David Silva showed great skill to keep the ball under pressure on the edge of the Well box and then slipped in the on-rushing James Fowler with a delightful back-heel. Fowler burst into the area, but his finish was straight at Randolph, who gathered easily.

Dean Shiels came off the bench and played a pass through to Silva, who brought the best out of Randolph with a low drive, the Well keeper diving low to his right to get a strong hand to the ball.

That proved to be the last meaningful chance of the match as neither side could find a way to break the deadlock.

Top Stories