St Mirren 1-0 Aberdeen

St Mirren striker Nigel Hasselbaink
New signing Nigel Hasselbaink's second half strike was his first goal for the Paisley side

A Nigel Hasselbank goal secured St Mirren's first win of the season as Danny Lennon's attractive brand of football paid off with a win over Aberdeen.

The Dons survived a first half assault before the Buddies' new Dutch striker fired home in the 50th minute.

Hasselbaink had earlier missed two shooting opportunities and a free header at the end of the first half.

Aberdeen were unimpressive with Josh Magennis closest to grabbing a goal.

The defeat means the Dons are without a win in Paisley since May 2010 and have yet to score in the Scottish Premier League this season.

Lennon named an unchanged starting 11 for his side's first home match season, keeping faith with the team that drew with Dunfermline on Monday.

And the home side continued the fluid style of play that impressed earlier in the week, Aberdeen struggling early on to make any in-roads into the Buddies' half.

New signing Kari Arnason was given the role of neutralising of Steven Thompson - the St Mirren striker being clean shaven after deciding to shave off his beard as a result of his penalty miss against Dunfermline on Monday night.

But that did not stop the Thompson missing another chance in the 15th minute as he contrived to fire over the bar with a half-volley from six yards out from Jeroen Tesselaar's corner kick.

The Aberdeen fans had to wait until the 33rd minute before their side forced a save from Craig Samson, the St Mirren keeper diving to his right to save from Magennis's strike.

However, as was the case against Dunfermline, Hasselbaink, Thompson and Gary Teale ensured the Buddies dominated without breaking the deadlock.

On his home debut, Hasselbaink uncovered several first-half chances but struggled to match creativity with clinical finishing: first going wide with a header then similarly failing to convert from Teale's floated pass into the box.

However, it was through Hasselbaink's endeavour that the deadlock was eventually broken in the 50th minute.

The Dutchman found himself one on one with Gonzalez and cooly side-footed the ball past the Aberdeen keeper from the edge of the penalty box to put St Mirren ahead.

That goal appeared to galvanize the home side's desire to play the attractive brand of football promised by manager Danny Lennon, while the visitor's chances were restricted to long balls from Arnason with little success.

Michael Paton and Scott Vernon had a late chance for the visitors, but ultimately Craig Brown's pre-match predictions of an improved St Mirren were shown to be more accurate than the Aberdeen boss might have hoped.