No rush to push Sammy Ameobi at Newcastle - John Carver
Newcastle United assistant manager John Carver says striker Sammy Ameobi will not be rushed into first-team action, despite a prolific pre-season.
The 19-year-old took his tally to three for the campaign with a brace against Gateshead on Tuesday night, in front of Carver and boss Alan Pardew.
"We'll keep a close eye on him," Carver told BBC Newcastle.
"We'll nurture him in the right direction and make sure when the time is right we introduce him to the team."
Carver added: "He's got something different, he can go past players, he likes to get in at the far post and scores goals, and that's important.
"We know he did well last season when he came on against Chelsea and actually manufactured a goal. He's a young talent we're going to manage and he's done well and made people take notice of him."
United split their squad between a tour of the United States and a trip to the Netherlands this summer, before joining up for training on home soil at the beginning of last week.
"We looked at the condition of the players and they're in exactly the same position as they were when they played Rangers last season so we're on target," Carver said.
"We've got a huge game at the weekend against Fiorentina, the build up was aimed at making sure that before the start of the season the toughest game was ahead of us.
"We're back from America, we've recovered from that, and we've had a good week's training and looking to a tough test on Saturday."