Hibernian 1-2 St Mirren

St Mirren came from behind to inflict a fourth consecutive home defeat on Hibernian.

Garry O'Connor had fired the Easter Road side ahead in the 24th minute.

But striker Steven Thompson slid in a reply after 42 minutes before midfielder Steven Thomson nipped in to put the Paisley side ahead on the stroke of half-time.

Hibernian were unable to respond in the second half, meaning Colin Calderwood's side now sit ninth in the table.

Calderwood had kept faith with his back four despite their 4-1 defeat by Kilmarnock last week, but individual errors by Callum Booth and Victor Palsson were to be Hibs' undoing.

The pace of Ivan Sproule caused multiple problems for St Mirren early on, a run from the Northern Irishman finding David Wotherspoon in the 13th minute, but the midfielder sent his shot over the bar.

Sproule kept up the pressure, though, and played in O'Connor in the 24th minute in a move that was to end the deadlock at Easter Road.

O'Connor's first attempt at a strike ricocheting off the St Mirren defence, but his second effort was more clinical.

The Scotland international powered the ball low and hard across the face of goal, leaving St Mirren goalkeeper Craig Samson helpless to prevent the home side taking a first-half lead, O'Connor celebrating his 49th Scottish Premier League goal.

Steven Thomson celebrates
Midfielder Steven Thomson scored the winner for St Mirren

That was closely followed by another chance for Sproule, this time taking aim from the edge of the box but unable to hit the target.

Hibs' dominance was to be short-lived, though.

An unfortunate slip from Callum Booth on 41 minutes led to St Mirren grabbing an unexpected equaliser.

Jeroen Tesselaar charged through on goal and slid the ball to former Cardiff striker Thompson, who slotted into the empty net.

Worse was to come, with jeers from the home fans on the stroke of half-time, when Tesselaar this time robbed Palsson of possession before threading the ball through to midfielder Thomson, whose finishing was just as clinical as his namesake's.

Hibs seemed stunned to find themselves a goal down at half-time and Palsson paid the price when he was replaced with Danny Galbraith.

However, Hibs' chances were limited in the second half, with a continued reliance on Sproule to create chances.

St Mirren, meanwhile, maintained the positive style of play that has become their hallmark this season, with Gary Teale joining Thompson in attack before he was replaced by John McShane with eight minutes remaining.

The Paisley side did tire in the closing stages, but Hibs failed to capitalise.

Martin Scott squandered a late chance from eight yards out in the dying minutes.

The substitute sent it high over the bar, leaving the Easter Road side still searching for their first home win of the season.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories