Aberdeen 2-1 Inverness CT

Two first-half strikes ended Aberdeen's four-game goal drought as Craig Brown's side survived Inverness Caledonian Thistle's late fightback.

It took the Dons only 12 minutes to take the lead when Rob Milsom slotted home after fine play by Josh Magennis.

The home side doubled their advantage when Scott Vernon took advantage of a defensive mistake by Inverness debutant Roman Golobart to drive the ball home.

Richie Foran slid in a 79th-minute reply, but the Dons held on to win.

Aberdeen fans sighed with relief at the end as their side claimed their first three points of the season after a game that justified the game of two halves cliche.

Striker Darren Mackie and Rory McArdle were the casualties as Dons manager Craig Brown looked to end their four game wait for a goal, with Josh Magennis and Ryan Jack coming into the starting line-up.

Inverness boss Terry Butcher, without seven players through injury or suspension, introduced Golobart, their loan signing from Wigan, while Andrew Shinnie, Nick Ross and Gavin Morrison were handed starts.

The re-arranged defence was quickly under pressure and Kari Arnason sent a tantalising cross into the box and Scott Vernon failed to keep his header under the bar from only six yards out.

The opening goal came after 12 minutes when Magennis showed great strength to ease past two defenders before slotting the ball across goal for Milsom, who turned it home.

Rob Milson celebrates
Vernon (left) put the Dons in control with a second goal before the break

The Dons quickly added their second when Scott Vernon pounced on a mistake from Golobart to run through on goal and coolly fire the ball past Esson.

Aberdeen were now totally in control and Magennis linked up with Fraser Fyvie before his powerful effort whistled past the post.

Inverness thought they had pulled a goal back after 36 minutes when Jonny Hayes found the back of the net, but referee Crawford Allan had already blown his whistle for an earlier infringement.

The Dons could have added a third before the break when Milsom's curling free-kick evaded everyone and bounced back off the upright.

Caley Thistle improved after the break and Richie Foran wasted an opportunity when he was one-on-one with David Gonzalez, but the Aberdeen goalkeeper smothered the ball after a poor first touch by the forward.

Jonny Hayes also failed to capitalise on a half-chance for the Highlanders.

Foran slid in for his first of the season as he pounced on a mis-headed ball by Aberdeen's Youl Mawene.

Inverness nearly pulled level when Foran bore down on goal, but a great save by Gonzalez bailed out the Dons.

Striker Gregory Tade, who had come on as a substitute after being relegated to the bench, headed straight at the keeper in the closing minutes as the Dons took the three points.

Live text commentaryexternal-link