St Johnstone boss Derek McInnes rues sloppy defending

Derek McInnes
McInnes's side were 3-1 ahead with 10 minutes remaining

St Johnstone manager Derek McInnes was upset not to take all three points after his side drew 3-3 in a thrilling encounter with Dundee United.

Saints surrendered a two-goal lead with 10 minutes of the match remaining and McInnes expects better in future.

"Any time your side is 3-1 up with 10 minutes to go, you would expect to see it through," said McInnes.

"I felt we had enough experience to deal with it. But United kept going and never gave up the ghost."

Barry Douglas fired United into a second-minute lead but Francisco Sandaza levelled for St Johnstone from the penalty spot after Johnny Russell caught former United team-mate David Robertson in the face with his boot as he hooked a clearance over his shoulder.

Liam Craig then fired in a free-kick and Sandaza added a cool finish in first-half stoppage time before Gary Mackay-Stevens knocked in from close range to give United late hope and Gavin Gunning crashed in a header to ensure a the draw.

McInnes felt his side deserved a wein after their second half performance, but credited United with making a game of the encounter.

"We were pretty comfortable throughout the second half," said McInnes.

"Dundee United brought subs on and changed things, and looked for something to fall for them - and they got a bit of momentum, which can happen.

But, the third goal was unforgivable - a free header in our box.

"But all in all, there were loads of positives from our side.

"I thought we were fantastic in the first half, despite losing an early goal. But everything else was excellent, so it's a hard one to take."

The dramatic late fight back means United are unbeaten in the last four visits to Perth and prevented Peter Houston's side from falling to a hat-trick of defeats and McInnes admitted the encounters between the sides are great viewing for fans.

"We had a 3-3 draw in our first season in the SPL against Dundee United," said McInnes.

"They're always interesting affairs with plenty of goals and incidents - and today was no different.

"It's difficult for us to concentrate on the positives - but there was a lot of them.

"We carried a threat, we occupied their back four and looked lively. We looked like scoring at every opportunity - and we competed well, which you have to do against Dundee United

"They got it with the second goal and from then on it was tough. It was a great game for spectators and neutrals, but poor defending at both sides."