Dundee Utd 0-1 Rangers

Rangers edged out 10-man Dundee United at Tannadice to stay on top of the Scottish Premier League.

Johnny Russell was sent off after half an hour for stupidly aiming a headbutt at Kirk Broadfoot.

Rangers made their advantage count when Kyle Lafferty nodded home from a Gregg Wylde cross on 61 minutes.

A Steven Davis shot struck both posts as the visitors pressed for second goal, while United battled gamely and were always a threat.

But, despite a host of chances at either end, there was to be no further scoring and Rangers kept a fifth successive SPL clean sheet to earn maximum points.

Rangers were under early pressure, following a poor kick out from Allan McGregor and the goalkeeper was relieved to see Willo Flood's deflected strike whistle inches wide of his post.

On 14 minutes, a clever pass from Juan Manuel Ortiz found Lafferty inside the penalty box but the striker's shot on the turn was smothered by United keeper Dusan Pernis.

Media playback is not supported on this device

Interview: Rangers manager Ally McCoist

A delivery from Wylde looped off United defender Garry Kenneth and fell for Steven Naismith in front of goal but the Scotland international hammered his first-time shot over the crossbar from six yards.

With the game being played at a cracking pace, Danny Swanson stung McGregor's palms with a long-range effort and Kenneth went close with a header from a corner.

The game suddenly swung in Rangers' favour on 30 minutes when Russell and Broadfoot became embroiled in an argument and the United striker was sent off for foolishly aiming a headbutt at his opponent.

Interview: Dundee United manager Peter Houston

Rangers should have broken the deadlock soon after when Maurice Edu found Naismith with a smart, lofted pass but the forward was again wasteful in front of goal, shooting wide from near the penalty spot.

The powerful Kenneth threatened with another header from a corner, while Lafferty did well to dribble down the byeline only to see his drilled shot kept out by a combination of Pernis and post.

The second half started with a long-range strike from Lafferty skidding into the arms of Pernis and the keeper was then able to thwart the same player with a block inside the six yard box.

However, the big Northern Ireland striker was not be denied and he found the net with a powerful header after connecting with an excellent cross from Wylde.

A thunderous, low strike from John Rankin bounced awkwardly off the chest of McGregor before a huge slice of fortune for the home side.

Davis glided through the United defence and placed a shot beyond Pernis but the ball cannoned off both posts before bobbling off to safety.

Kenneth made a sliding clearance to keep out a Naismith effort before United duo Swanson and Rankin smashed strikes wide of the target, the latter's attempt taking a layer of paint off the post.

Live text commentary

Top Stories