Kilmarnock 3-2 Dunfermline

Paul Heffernan scored twice as Kilmarnock got the better of Dunfermline in a five-goal thriller.

Jason Thomson opened for the visitors to Rugby Park but Heffernan converted a penalty and added a cool finish before the interval.

Dunfermline substitute Ryan Thomson glanced in an equaliser from Joe Cardle's cross after the break.

But Zdenek Kroca curled in a composed strike on 62 minutes to lift Killie up to fourth in the table.

The Czech defender's winning goal was a fine way to cap an entertaining match, packed full of goalmouth action.

Dunfermline midfielder Paul Burns struck the base of post from the edge of the box a minute before the visitors grabbed the opening goal.

Andy Kirk's header crashed off the underside of the bar and Thomson was on hand to bundle the ball over the line.

Dunfermline could have doubled their lead minutes later when Kirk got on the end of David Graham's cross but Killie goalkeeper Cammy Bell tipped the ball wide.

Kilmarnock were off the early pace but were handed a route back into the game after Alex Keddie clearly felled James Dayton inside the penalty area.

Heffernan sent Paul Gallacher the wrong way from the spot.

As the first half drew to a close Kilmarnock took the lead when Dean Shiels threaded a clever through ball to Heffernan who calmly slotted beyond Gallagher.

Ryan Thomson was introduced at half-time and the change paid off within five minutes as he knocked in Cardle's inch perfect delivery.

Thomson came close to doubling his tally just before the hour when he drilled an effort just wide from David Graham's knockdown.

Kilmarnock grabbed the winner when Kroca showed great awareness to pick his spot and beat Gallacher with a low, curling strike from the edge of the box.

The home side almost doubled their lead minutes later when Shiels weaved his way into the area and unleashed a stinging effort only to be denied by Gallacher.

The travelling supporters thought their side had drawn level with 10 minutes remaining when Kirk nipped in front of Cammy Bell to knock the ball into the net but the striker had strayed offside.

Gallacher made another fine stop to stop a powerful strike from Rory McKeown, who had shown great determination to drive into the penalty area.

The impressive Shiels received a standing ovation from the home fans when he limped off with minutes remaining and Kilmarnock comfortably held out for the three points.

Live text commentaryexternal-link