Wolves 5-0 Millwall

Wolves cruised into the fourth round of the Carling Cup with a convincing victory over Millwall at Molineux.

Mick McCarthy's men had not scored in their previous three games, but were 2-0 up inside seven minutes through David Edwards and Adam Hammill.

George Elokobi tapped home a 38th-minute third, while 18-year-old local lad James Spray added a fourth after 77 minutes.

Adlene Guedioura wrapped it up with a stunning 30-yard strike.

The emphatic victory, in front of just 7,749 supporters, will bring welcome relief to a Wolves side who have suffered back-to-back league defeats.

Wolves made a dream start and were ahead after only three minutes.

Stephen Hunt, skipper for the night, sent in an inswinging cross from the right and an unmarked Sam Vokes saw his header parried down by Steve Mildenhall, with Edwards pouncing quickest to poke home from close range.

Soon after it was 2-0. James Henry fouled Nenad Milijas in a central position 25 yards from goal, leaving Hammill to step up and curl an inch-perfect free-kick into the top corner.

A sweeping move containing at least a dozen passes presented Hamer Bouazza with Millwall's first opening of the tie but his low effort from the edge of the area was comfortably saved by Dorus De Vries.

Wolves' early dominance had subsided and only a last-ditch Elokobi block denied well-placed Dany N'Guessan's goalbound effort from testing De Vries.

The tie was pretty much over as a contest seven minutes before the break as Algeria international midfielder Guedioura embarked on a mazy run into the right side of the penalty area and sent a composed pass across the face of goal for left-back Elokobi to tap home.

Spray was introduced for Hunt in the 74th minute and the youngster wasted little time making an impact, firing home after the ball had broken his way six yards out.

But the last word was saved for Guedioura, whose sweet strike in the 88th minute was the icing on the cake for Wolves.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories