Cardiff 0-0 Leicester

Leicester striker Darius Vassell hit the crossbar in injury-time as the Foxes and Cardiff's second meeting in four days ended goalless.

Cardiff had defeated Leicester in the Carling Cup but Vassell could not quite snatch revenge with his late header.

Substitute Rob Earnshaw had earlier cleared a header off the line from Leicester's Lee Peltier.

Rudy Gestade had Cardiff's best chance in the second half but his shot was blocked by Matt Mills.

The Foxes remain unbeaten away from home in the league but with just three wins in eight Championship fixtures, while Cardiff have not lost in eight matches.

As expected both teams bore little resemblance to the sides that contested the midweek Carling Cup fixture, which Cardiff had won 7-6 on penalties.

The Welsh team's line-up showed eight changes, while defender Matt Mills was the only player to retain his place in Leicester's starting XI.

However, it took the new-look teams time to settle and the opening 15 minutes was a tame affair, although it was the visitors who had the better of the few early opportunities.

Mills' header from a free-kick failed to trouble David Marshall and the Cardiff keeper later dealt comfortably with Peltier's weak shot from close range.

Vassell caused problems with a surging run into the Cardiff area. The Bluebirds failed to clear the ball, which ended at the feet of Andy King, whose volley from the edge of the box flew wide of Marshall's left post.

Cardiff, who had created little up until then, were forced into a change on 24 minutes, with Earnshaw replacing the injured Craig Conway.

Earnshaw was in the thick of the action almost immediately, but he dwelled too long when in space in the Foxes box and Leicester were able to clear the danger.

The Wales striker then showed his defensive qualities when he superbly cleared Peltier's header off the line following Richie Wellens' corner.

Cardiff had by now settled into the game and Don Cowie was denied by Schmeichel before Peter Whittingham's long-range effort nearly caught out the keeper.

Both sides looked evenly matched, with Leicester's Mills firing across the six-yard box from a knock-down and King once again going close.

The Bluebirds were forced to make their second change of the half on 41 minutes when substitute Earnshaw left the field with an injury to be replaced by Rudy Gestade.

It got worse for Cardiff, who made their third substitution at the break as Welsh international Darcy Blake replaced captain Mark Hudson.

Despite that, Malky Mackay's team enjoyed a sustained period of pressure after the restart and Whittingham's shot was blocked by Sol Bamba before Kenny Miller fired over the bar.

They were awarded a free-kick when Gestade was felled by Yuki Abe on the edge of the penalty area, but Whittingham could only find the side netting.

Leicester too could not take advantage when they were awarded a free-kick, with Paul Konchesky's effort saved by Marshall, who also tipped over Wellens' resultant corner.

A storming run down the right wing by full-back Kevin McNaughton created an opportunity for Gestade, but Mills did well to block the Frenchman's shot.

Cardiff's performance was in stark contrast to their first-half display and they were looking the likelier of the two sides to score.

Whittingham in particular was looking dangerous but he sliced an effort wide from outside the penalty area on 70 minutes and after that miss it was the visiting side who were on top.

Vassell and Andy King both went close before Vassell wasted a glorious chance in stoppage-time when his header from eight-yards struck the crossbar.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories