Swansea 2-0 Stoke

By Aled WilliamsBBC Sport Wales
Scott Sinclair scores from the penalty spot
Sinclair scored his second goal of the season to give Swansea the lead

Scott Sinclair's first-half penalty and Danny Graham's first goal for the club secured a hard-earned win for Swansea over Stoke City.

Sinclair opened Swansea's account from the spot on eight minutes after a Ryan Shawcross tackle had felled Wayne Routledge.

Graham secured victory with five minutes left, coolly lifting the ball over Asmir Begovic.

Glenn Whelan had Stoke's best chance with his free-kick striking a post.

Brendan Rodgers praises 'sensational' Swansea

Swansea's second Premier League victory maintains their unbeaten record in the top flight at the Liberty Stadium, where they have yet to concede a goal this season.

The hosts started purposefully and a ball over the top by Angel Rangel found Nathan Dyer on the right flank, and although the winger outpaced Marc Wilson, he could not keep his composure and the ball went out of play.

Swansea made forward forays and on were awarded a penalty when Routledge, after receiving the ball from Joe Allen, was brought down following a rash lunge by Stoke captain Shawcross.

Sinclair placed the penalty low to the left of Begovic's dive to give Swansea the lead from the spot for the second successive home game.

Swansea were now in the ascendancy, with Sinclair's shot blocked by Jonathan Woodgate before Graham failed to connect with Routledge's teasing cross.

Stoke were relying on set pieces to mount a threat and they were awarded a free-kick in a dangerous position on the edge of the box when Shawcross was fouled by Ashley Williams, but Jermaine Pennant struck his effort against the defensive wall and the home side cleared.

The Potters now began to find their way back into the game and Jon Walters tried his luck from 25 yards with a dipping volley which forced Michel Vorm into a stunning save, while Rory Delap blazed over the crossbar as Stoke controlled the latter stages of the first half.

The second half opened with chances for both sides within the opening two minutes with Pennant firing over a free-kick for Stoke before Graham headed over from Mark Gower's corner.

Substitute Cameron Jerome made his presence felt immediately and was wrestled to the floor on the edge of the penalty box by Williams, which resulted in a free-kick for Stoke.

Whelan curled his low shot around the defensive wall and, although Vorm was stranded, the ball struck the post much to Swansea's relief.

Pulis annoyed by inconsistent refereeing

The frenetic pace resulted in Garry Monk giving the ball away to Jerome, who could not keep his shot low enough to trouble Vorm.

But the play was not confined to the Swansea half as Sinclair showed great skill to cut in from the left flank to force Begovic into making an important save.

A promising Sinclair run was halted by a cynical challenge by Pennant on the edge of the penalty area which resulted in a yellow card and free-kick, although Sinclair could only fire at the defensive wall.

Having been under the cosh, Swansea now enjoyed a promising spell and Begovic had to deny Graham having a free header before the Swans' record signing secured victory with five minutes remaining.

Graham picked up on a loose ball before keeping his composure to coolly fire past the keeper - his first goal since his summer move from Watford.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories