Cardiff 2-2 Ipswich

Peter Whittingham's penalty rescued a point for Cardiff City after former Bluebird Michael Chopra had threatened to come back to haunt his former side.

Cardiff's early dominance was rewarded when Rudy Gestede's flicked header found the bottom corner.

Jason Scotland soon replied with a 22-yard drive and then Chopra headed the visitors ahead early after the break.

Whittingham held his nerve from the spot after a handball before Gestede failed to score after running clear.

The French striker's chance to snatch victory came 10 minutes from time, but his unconvincing shot was easily saved by Ipswich goalkeeper David Stockdale.

Cardiff's response to going behind will have pleased manager Malky Mackay, while Paul Jewell will take heart from another fine display that gives them an 11th point from a possible 15.

And it was the visitors who were first to threaten at Cardiff City Stadium as Scotland forced goalkeeper David Marshall into action.

The striker then came within inches of connecting to a low cross from Carlos Edwards, who proved to be a constant thorn in Cardiff's side down Ipswich's right flank.

But Cardiff recovered to find their rhythm and Gustede's opener after 19 minutes arrived as the home side began to dictate play.

Aron Gunnarsson hurled his long throw towards the Ipswich front post, and with Ben Turner occupying the two Ipswich centre-backs, Gestede timed his run to perfection behind the crowd to flick the ball across the face of goal.

Ipswich striker Michael Chopra heads in at the far post
Chopra's header put Ipswich ahead on 51 minutes

The goal sparked Jewell's side into life and they needed just over 10 minutes to equalise.

Scotland found space between the Cardiff midfield and defence, and the former Swansea striker needed no second invitation to unleash a fierce low left-foot effort.

Chopra, who left Cardiff for Ipswich for £1.5m over the summer, came within inches to putting the visitors ahead just before the break as Cardiff hung on under heavy pressure.

The Ipswich dominance continued early in the second half as Grant Leadbitter forced Marshall to save well and then Scotland shot narrowly wide.

But the deserved goal duly arrived as Chopra peeled off at the far post to head in Edwards' deep cross on 51 minutes.

The roles were then reversed as it was Cardiff's turn to respond to falling behind.

Referee Dean Whitestone had already waved away one appeal for handball in the Ipswich box, but after much deliberation with his assistant, he pointed to the spot with 18 minutes remaining.

Stockdale went the right way as he dived to his left, but Whittingham's clean strike flew above his outstretched hands.

Another Cardiff penalty appeal was refused when Kevin McNaughton fell in the box and then Stockdale came to his side's rescue when Gestede failed to capitalise on a clear opening.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories