Aberdeen 3-1 Dundee Utd

Aberdeen moved closer to the top six of the Scottish Premier League with victory over Dundee United.

Kari Arnason put the Pittodrie side ahead after 14 minutes with a close-range strike.

A header from Frenchman Youl Mawene and an Andrew Considine strike extended their lead in the second half.

A tap-in from Lauri Dalla Valle gave consolation to the travelling fans with 11 minutes remaining, but United were unable to match a dominant Dons side.

Aberdeen manager Craig Brown had stuck with the same team that beat Dunfermline 4-0, with Scott Vernon again partnered by New Zealand international Rory Fallon in attack.

United, meanwhile, made two changes, with youngster Johnny Russell and Scott Allan handed starts in place of the injured Keith Watson and Ryan Dow.

Peter Houston's side made an encouraging start, with Russell's snap-shot from the edge of the box drawing a fine save from David Gonzalez after only five minutes.

But it was Aberdeen who made the breakthrough with almost quarter of an hour gone.

Fraser Fyvie's corner found Fallon, whose downward header was well kept out by Pernis, but Iceland international Arnason was on hand to scoop the ball into the roof of the net from close range.

The home support were appealing for a penalty after 28 minutes when Rob Milsom tumbled in the box under pressure from Willo Flood.

Youl Mawene
Summer signing Youl Mawene headed home his second goal of the season.

Craig Brown's side came close to doubling their advantage a couple of minutes later when Fallon was unable to turn the ball home after a tantalising cross from Fyvie.

United had a penalty appeal of their own turned down before the break when Danny Swanson looked to have been clipped by Ryan Jack, but referee Willie Collum waved away the protests.

Swanson failed to recover from the challenge and was replaced with Lauri Dalla Valle after 41 minutes.

There was to be no resurgence for United after the restart, though, with Mawene doubling Aberdeen's advantage with just five minutes played.

Ricky Foster flighted in a measured free-kick that found the head of the Frenchman who calmly nodded into an empty net from inside the six-yard box.

Houston took the opportunity to make changes, introducing Gary MacKay-Steven to replace Russell after the youngster failed to impress.

However, worse was to come with an hour gone, when a stramash inside the box led to a third for Aberdeen.

United failed to clear a Rob Milsom free-kick, allowing both Mawene and Foster attempts at goal, before Considine allowed the ball to bounce before slotting it into the left-hand corner of Pernis's goal.

There was consolation for United when substitute Stuart Armstrong made a run from midfield and delivered a ball across the face of goal, with Dalla Valle lurking to tap it home.

However, a comeback did not materialise, allowing Aberdeen to notch up back-to-back home wins.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories