Glens Cup win over Ports marred by fireworks madness

Glentoran beat Portadown 2-1 in the Irn-Bru League Cup third round but the game was close to being abandoned after fireworks were thrown on to the pitch.

Glens coaches Pete Batey and David McClelland required treatment after a firework was thrown from the stand hosting Ports fans in the first half.

More fireworks were then hurled on to the pitch in the second half.

Matthew Tipton (33) put Portadown ahead but Colin Nixon (56) and Gary Hamilton (65) replied for Glentoran.

Stadium announcers warned on three occasions that the game was close to being abandoned because of the fireworks incidents.

Goalkeeping coach McClelland was badly shaken after the firework went off, knocking him to the ground and blowing his contact lens out of one eye.

Batey, Glentoran's assistant manager also received medical treatment after the explosion.

The two men were later given the all-clear by a medical team but the Irish FA is certain to investigate the fireworks incidents which marred the game.

In terms of the sporting action, Tipton put the Ports ahead on 33 minute before Nixon headed a Hamilton free-kick to the net on 56 minutes.

Colin Nixon
Colin Nixon celebrates after equalising for Glentoran at the Oval

Hamilton then secured the Glens' place in Thursday's quarter-final draw with a 65th-minute half-volley from the edge of the penalty area.

Another big-talking point from Wednesday's third round was Dergview's deserved 1-0 win over Donegal Celtic at Suffolk Road.

The Championship 1 dominated against the Premiership team and Robert Robinson had to make a number of great saves to deny Ryan Campbell, Warner Mullen and Aaron Arkinson.

However, Campbell poached Dergview's winner one minute from time after a defensive mix-up involving DC defender Liam Bradley and Robinson.

In an all-Premiership tie, two Martin Donnelly goals helped Cliftonville hammer Dungannon Swifts 5-0.

George McMullan put the Reds ahead in the second minute and Rory Donnelly doubled the lead on 30 minutes.

Chris Scannell hit the third on the hour and Martin Donnelly added the fourth and fifth goals on 64 and 67.

Goals from Aaron Stewart (21) and Aaron Boyd (64) earned Ballymena United a 2-0 win at Bangor.

Lee Patrick put Limavady United ahead in the 55th minute against Carrick Rangers at Seaview but goals from Kevin Lynch (63), Paul McDowell (85) and Paul Heatley (88) ensured a 3-1 comeback success for the Premiership club.

IRN-BRU League Cup third round results

Bangor 0-2 Ballymena Utd

Carrick Rangers 3-1 Limavady Utd

Cliftonville 5-0 Dungannon Swifts

Donegal Celtic 0-1 Dergview

Glentoran 2-1 Portadown

Linfield 0-0 Glenavon (Glenavon win 6-5 on pens)

Lisburn Distillery 2-4 Crusaders

Newry City 0-3 Coleraine

Top Stories