Inverness boss Terry Butcher demands improvement

Inverness manager Terry Butcher
The draw leaves Butcher's side propping up the Scottish Premier League

Manager Terry Butcher was critical of his side's application after Inverness conceded a late penalty to draw 1-1 at home to Dunfermline.

"I've got to question my players temperament and ask do they want to be off the bottom of the league?

"How much do they want to win a game? How much do they want to keep a clean sheet?

"Today. Not enough. We did 75% of the work to try and get a win but the other 25% we didn't put in."

Dunfermline, backed by a fierce wind, made all of the early running but Inverness stole the lead thanks to a flying header from Gregory Tade on 33 minutes.

But the Highlanders could not hold on and the Pars levelled when Liam Buchanan tucked away an 86th-minute penalty, given for a bad tackle on the same player from David Proctor.

The result leaves Caley Thistle one point adrift at the foot of the Scottish Premier League, with Dunfermline immediately above them.

Interview - ICT manager Terry Butcher

"We just didn't get going for some reason," added Butcher.

"We had control of the game when we scored and at the beginning of the second half I thought lets go on and get the second goal.

"But the more the game went on the more Dunfermline grew in belief.

"I think a neutral would say a draw was the fair result but when you go 1-0 up and you concede in the manner that we did it's extremely disappointing."

Proctor's poorly timed trip on Buchanan was a clear penalty, with Butcher in no mood to dispute the decision.

"It was a bad challenge," he admitted. "David Proctor has put his hand up straight away and apologised."

Butcher stuck with the same starting XI after blasting their previous performance - a 2-0 loss at St Johnstone but is now contemplating changes for next weekend's visit from his former club Motherwell.

"It gives me an option now because I played the same team three times now and I've got the good, the bad and the ugly," he explained.

"We're conceding almost two goals a game and that's not good enough."

Top Stories