Chelsea captain John Terry has said he will prove his innocence after the Football Association announced it is to investigate claims he racially abused QPR defender Anton Ferdinand.
"I welcome the FA enquiry and look forward to clearing my name," he said.
Some viewers claimed video replays from Sunday's match between the sides showed Terry using racist language, while the FA says it has received a complaint.
Both clubs say they are keen see an end to the controversy.
Chelsea confirmed Terry would not play in Wednesday's Carling Cup tie at Everton.
Manager Andre Villas-Boas indicated the decision was a precautionary one due to his four yellow cards so far this season.
The club are keen for the 30-year-old to be available for selection for Saturday's Premier League game at home to Arsenal.
Meanwhile, QPR chairman Tony Fernandes stressed his club's condemnation of all forms of racism but added it was time to concentrate on the future.
"As a club, we will provide our players with our unequivocal support when alleged incidents like this occur," he said.
"However, we are keen to draw a line under this alleged incident and focus on our forthcoming fixtures, starting with Sunday's London derby at Spurs."
Chelsea manager Andre Villas-Boas earlier claimed that a post-match conversation between Terry and Ferdinand had marked "the end of the story".
However the Metropolitan Police has announced it is assessing evidence from the incident after receiving a complaint.
In a statement following the Blues' 1-0 defeat, Terry described the incident as a "misunderstanding" and claimed that his accusers "have leapt to the wrong conclusions about the context of what I was seen to be saying".
"I would never say such a thing - and I'm saddened that people would think so," he added.
Lord Ouseley, chairman of football's equality and inclusion campaign Kick It Out, warned the incident could influence players at lower levels.
The FA is also investigating claims by Manchester United defender Patrice Evra that Liverpool's Luis Suarez used racist language in the teams' match on 15 October. Suarez has denied the allegations.
"This is worrying and potentially very damaging," said Lord Ouseley.
"What happens at the top end of the game has an impact at grassroots level and at parks pitches across the country."
Terry, 30, was stripped of the England captaincy in February 2010 after allegations that he had had an affair with the ex-girlfriend of Wayne Bridge, an international team-mate.
He was reinstated by coach Fabio Capello in March who deemed a year without the armband to have been sufficient "punishment".