Wolves angered by Antolin Alcaraz 'spitting' incident

Antolin Alcaraz (right) challenges with Kevin Doyle (left)
Alcaraz (right) is alleged to have spat at Richard Stearman

Wolves boss Mick McCarthy has criticised Wigan's Antolin Alcaraz after television replays appeared to show him spitting at Richard Stearman.

The incident occurred late on in Wolves' 3-1 home win and sparked a mass on-pitch confrontation between players.

Stearman confirmed that he had been spat at but refused to comment further.

McCarthy said: "Spitting is taboo. If it has been shown, that is unacceptable behaviour and anyone here who was spat at would act accordingly."

Referee Lee Probert took no action against Latics captain Alcaraz following the alleged incident, which took place in the 83rd minute of the match at Molineux.

David Edwards, who scored Wolves' second goal, said: "That is out of order. That shouldn't be brought into the game and hopefully he should be pulled up on that.

"I'm sure with the television footage as well, some sort of action should be taken."

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez would only say: "I haven't seen [the replays] yet. If that is the case, I'll look into it and I'll find out."

The incident somewhat overshadowed Wolves first win in nine games as goals from Jamie O'Hara, Edwards and Stephen Ward clinched the three points to lift them away from the relegation zone and up to 13th in the division.

McCarthy was delighted with the much-needed win and said: "It all looks different with one win and we knew that would be the case.

"But it was much needed. We can't keep going on saying we did alright. You've got to win a game and today was the one we needed to win against Wigan.

"What pleased me most was the reaction after taking the lead and then conceding a penalty.

"It was the great togetherness of the place. The crowd were brilliant. We conceded the penalty and they got the lads going again.

"Then we came out second half, and it was a great response by all of us.

"That was nice. There was just a real nice togetherness in the place and we've got to have that."

Wigan boss Roberto Martinez was left to rue a series of missed chances by his side, who had gone in 1-1 at half-time thanks to Ben Watson's follow-up finish from his own penalty, which was saved by Wayne Hennessey.

The Latics have now lost eight successive league games and are bottom of the table with just five points from 11 matches.

"We couldn't get properly going today," said Martinez. "We allowed the first goal to affect all the performance too much.

"We had a great chance in a one v one situation [for Hugo Rodallega]. We usually take those and then they went up the other end and scored a little bit of a soft goal.

"From then on it seemed the day was going into Wolves' hands which was a little bit disappointing.

"They were able to sit back and hit us on the counter and then we gave them another two soft goals."

Top Stories