Tottenham 2-0 Aston Villa
Emmanuel Adebayor scored twice in the first half as Tottenham Hotspur brushed aside Aston Villa to climb to third in the Premier League on manager Harry Redknapp's return after heart surgery.
Adebayor's first came from an overhead kick following Gareth Bale's delivery after Villa failed to clear a corner.
The striker made it 2-0, bundling in after a left-sided cross from Bale.
The Togo forward came close to a hat-trick in the second half, shooting wide twice and having a low effort saved.
The result was just reward for a Tottenham team who were dominant in every area and never looked in danger of allowing their opponents back into the game after taking an early lead.
Villa gave their hosts too much of the ball and were punished, meaning they remain without an away victory this season ahead of a difficult run of fixtures.
The Midlands side face games against Manchester United, Liverpool, Arsenal and Chelsea before the end of the year.
Villa boss Alex McLeish fielded two right-backs - Carlos Cuellar in a familiar role and Alan Hutton just ahead of him - in an attempt to quell the threat of Bale on Spurs' left, but the home side were soon in control and should have scored in the 11th minute.
Benoit Assou-Ekotto's superb pass picked out Aaron Lennon, who chipped a cross towards Adebayor. The striker produced a poor header though, steering wide from eight yards.
Adebayor's chance to make amends came quickly and he took it. Younes Kaboul had a 20-yard effort deflected wide, leading to a corner that ended in his goal.
Rafael van der Vaart took the kick, which Stephen Warnock headed out. Bale knocked the ball back into the penalty area, where Adebayor finished with an acrobatic, overhead bicycle kick.
Impressive Dutchman Van der Vaart carried on troubling Villa, striking a fierce angled shot into the side-netting and producing an audacious chip as the home team kept pressing after their opener.
A second Spurs goal seemed inevitable and Bale provided it. He tormented Cuellar then swung in a cross that Villa's defence failed to cut out. That allowed Adebayor to nudge home to consolidate Spurs' lead five minutes before the break.
Villa made a better start to the second half, though, with Chris Herd crossing for Darren Bent, who headed at Brad Friedel. That was a rare moment of bother for Spurs, who soon took a grip on proceedings once more.
Adebayor had the first of his hat-trick chances after pouncing on a pass from the highly influential Luka Modric, but he shot wide from 18 yards when one-on-one with Shay Given.
After Kyle Walker fired wide in the 58th minute, Adebayor had another chance but he curled wide from 18 yards after Bale had again teed him up.
The former Arsenal and Real Madrid striker was once more denied his hat-trick when his 77th-minute effort, during a goalmouth scramble, was smothered by Given, but he and his team-mates were rightly satisfied with their evening's work.
Live text and stats
Monday, 21 November 2011
|Home Team||Score||Away Team||Time|
- 24 Friedel
- 03 Bale
- 04 Kaboul
- 26 King
- 28 Walker
- 32 Assou-Ekotto
- 07 Lennon
- 08 Parker
- 11 Van der Vaart (Defoe 69)
- 14 Modric (Sandro 90)
- 10 Adebayor
- 01 Given
- 02 Hutton
- 03 Warnock
- 05 Dunne
- 06 Collins
- 24 Cuellar (Bannan 63)
- 19 Petrov yellow card
- 31 Herd yellow card (Delph 87)
- 09 Bent
- 11 Agbonlahor
- 18 Heskey
- Tottenham 59%
- Aston Villa 41%
Attempts on target
- Tottenham 9
- Aston Villa 1
Attempts off target
- Tottenham 11
- Aston Villa 4
- Tottenham 11
- Aston Villa 3
- Tottenham 4
- Aston Villa 5
- Final Result
- Full Time
- 90:00+1:59 The final whistle goes and the game is over.
- 90:00+0:41 Shot by Jermain Defoe from outside the box goes high over the target.
- 89:34 Substitution Raniere Sandro on for Luka Modric.
- 87:36 Scott Parker has an effort at goal from outside the penalty box missing to the wide right of the goal.
- 86:22 Substitution Fabian Delph joins the action as a substitute, replacing Chris Herd.
- 84:21 The free kick is swung in right-footed by Luka Modric, Stiliyan Petrov gets a block in. Short corner taken by Luka Modric.
- 84:21 Booking The referee shows Stiliyan Petrov a yellow card for unsporting behaviour.
- 84:08 Unfair challenge on Gareth Bale by Stiliyan Petrov results in a free kick.
- 82:57 Scott Parker takes a shot. Blocked by James Collins. Corner taken right-footed by Luka Modric from the left by-line to the near post, clearance by Darren Bent.
- 82:18 A cross is delivered by Benoit Assou-Ekotto, clearance by James Collins. Luka Modric decides to take a short corner.
- 79:42 Luka Modric fouled by Emile Heskey, the ref awards a free kick. Luka Modric delivers the ball from the free kick right-footed from right channel, James Collins manages to make a clearance.
- 78:53 Kyle Walker crosses the ball, clearance by James Collins.
- 76:29 Emmanuel Adebayor takes a shot. Shay Given makes a save.
- 70:39 Inswinging corner taken by Luka Modric.
- 70:15 The ball is sent over by Richard Dunne, Younes Kaboul makes a clearance.
- 69:47 Inswinging corner taken left-footed by Barry Bannan from the right by-line, clearance by Emmanuel Adebayor.
- 68:36 Substitution Rafael Van der Vaart goes off and Jermain Defoe comes on.
- 68:36 Close range effort by Aaron Lennon misses to the right of the goal.
- 68:08 Gareth Bale takes a shot. Save by Shay Given.
- 63:40 The official flags Rafael Van der Vaart offside. Shay Given takes the indirect free kick.
- 62:51 Substitution Barry Bannan is brought on as a substitute for Carlos Cuellar.
- 62:07 The assistant referee signals for offside against Aaron Lennon. Indirect free kick taken by Shay Given.
- 61:07 Emmanuel Adebayor produces a right-footed shot from the edge of the box and misses to the right of the target.
- 60:21 Scott Parker challenges Chris Herd unfairly and gives away a free kick. Free kick taken by Shay Given.
- 59:48 The ball is sent over by Gareth Bale, clearance made by Richard Dunne.
- 57:12 Shot from just outside the box by Kyle Walker misses to the right of the goal.
- 56:57 Short corner taken by Rafael Van der Vaart.
- 51:36 Effort on goal by Emmanuel Adebayor from inside the box misses to the right of the target.
- 50:14 Foul by Benoit Assou-Ekotto on Alan Hutton, free kick awarded. Stephen Warnock delivers the ball from the free kick left-footed from left channel, Brad Friedel makes a save.
- 48:32 Stephen Warnock produces a cross, clearance made by Ledley King. Inswinging corner taken by Stephen Warnock, Headed effort from inside the area by Darren Bent misses to the left of the target.
- 47:27 Rafael Van der Vaart takes a shot. Save made by Shay Given.
- 46:08 Darren Bent takes a shot. Save made by Brad Friedel.
- 45:01 The referee gets the second half started.
- Half Time
- 45:00+2:12 The referee blows for half time.
- 45:00+1:55 Aaron Lennon gives away a free kick for an unfair challenge on Gabriel Agbonlahor. Free kick taken by Shay Given.
- 45:00+1:46 Luka Modric takes a shot. Blocked by Stiliyan Petrov.
- 45:00+1:06 Inswinging corner taken by Rafael Van der Vaart, James Collins manages to make a clearance.
- 44:22 Luka Modric produces a right-footed shot from just outside the box that misses to the right of the net.
- 43:40 Free kick crossed left-footed by Rafael Van der Vaart.
- 43:40 Booking Chris Herd goes into the book for unsporting behaviour.
- 43:32 Free kick awarded for a foul by Chris Herd on Gareth Bale.
- 39:24 Assist by Gareth Bale.
- 39:24 GOAL - Emmanuel Adebayor:Tottenham 2 - 0 Aston Villa Emmanuel Adebayor fires in a goal from close in low into the middle of the goal. Tottenham 2-0 Aston Villa.
- 32:35 Free kick awarded for an unfair challenge on Rafael Van der Vaart by Richard Dunne. Strike on goal comes in from Rafael Van der Vaart from the free kick, Chris Herd gets a block in.
- 31:23 Scott Parker concedes a free kick for a foul on Darren Bent. James Collins takes the direct free kick.
- 29:30 Emile Heskey has an effort at goal from deep inside the area missing to the right of the target.
- 27:50 Shot by Rafael Van der Vaart from just outside the area goes over the net.
- 27:13 Younes Kaboul produces a cross, Richard Dunne manages to make a clearance.
- 26:45 Gareth Bale sends in a cross, Stephen Warnock gets a block in. Rafael Van der Vaart decides to take the corner short. Aaron Lennon produces a cross, James Collins makes a clearance.
- 22:22 Rafael Van der Vaart has shot on goal from just outside the box which goes wide of the right-hand upright.
- 22:05 Rafael Van der Vaart takes a short corner.
- 18:21 Corner taken by Stiliyan Petrov from the left by-line to the near post, Emile Heskey has a headed effort at goal from close range which goes wide left of the target.
- 16:47 Effort from deep inside the area by Luka Modric misses to the right of the target.
- 13:17 The assist for the goal came from Gareth Bale.
- 13:17 GOAL - Emmanuel Adebayor:Tottenham 1 - 0 Aston Villa Emmanuel Adebayor grabs a goal from inside the six-yard box to the bottom left corner of the goal. Tottenham 1-0 Aston Villa.
- 13:12 Rafael Van der Vaart takes the outswinging corner,
- 12:45 The ball is sent over by Younes Kaboul, James Collins manages to make a clearance. Younes Kaboul takes a shot. James Collins gets a block in.
- 11:48 Rafael Van der Vaart takes a short corner.
- 10:37 Emmanuel Adebayor has a headed effort at goal from close range which goes wide of the left-hand upright.
- 10:25 The ball is sent over by Rafael Van der Vaart, James Collins manages to make a clearance.
- 9:56 Scott Parker produces a cross, clearance by Stephen Warnock.
- 6:23 The official flags Alan Hutton offside. Direct free kick taken by Luka Modric.
- 5:26 The ball is swung over by Kyle Walker, James Collins makes a clearance.
- 4:49 Outswinging corner taken left-footed by Rafael Van der Vaart played to the near post, Stephen Warnock makes a clearance.
- 4:44 The ball is swung over by Gareth Bale, clearance by Stephen Warnock.
- 4:12 Free kick awarded for a foul by Stiliyan Petrov on Luka Modric. Direct free kick taken by Ledley King.
- 0:47 Effort on goal by Darren Bent from just inside the area clears the bar.
- 0:00 The referee gets the game started.
Live text and data provided by The Press Association.