Kilmarnock 2-0 Aberdeen

Gary Harkins and James Dayton were on target to secure victory for Kilmarnock as Aberdeen tumbled to the bottom of the Scottish Premier League.

Harkins stroked the hosts in front when he pounced after Aberdeen goalkeeper Jason Brown struggled to reach Andrew Considine's headed backpass.

Aberdeen responded positively but struggled to create meaningful chances.

And Kilmarnock doubled their lead on 65 minutes when Dayton broke free to shoot past Brown from 18 yards.

Killie boss Kenny Shiels will be pleased with a second clean sheet in a row and a place in the top half of the table but it was a largely scrappy performance on a soggy and windswept afternoon.

His Aberdeen counterpart Craig Brown will be tearing his hair out after witnessing a jittery defensive display from his team.

The visitors made the worst possible start, with Considine's header falling short of Jason Brown, allowing Harkins to beat the keeper in a 50/50 challenge and slide into the net from close range.

With the wet pitch cutting up, both sides struggled to move the ball around

In the 18th minute Scott Vernon was caught off-guard when Ricky Foster's cross from the left made it past Killie defender Mo Sissoko and the ball bounced off his head from six yards and was grasped by Kilmarnock goalkeeper Cammy Bell.

Killie midfielder Dean Shiels later sent in a curling shot from 25 yards but Brown gathered comfortably.

Three minutes from the break Aberdeen right-back Rory McArdle caused Cammy Bell some alarm when he sent an errant cross from wide on the right just over the near post.

Aberdeen made a strong start to the second half and midfielder Fraser Fyvie's curling free-kick missed everyonem only to skip just past Bell's left-hand post.

Soon after, the Killie keeper had to tip a powerful McArdle drive from distance over the bar for a corner.

Shiels replaced out-of-touch striker Paul Heffernan with Dayton in the 58th minute and the replacement wasted no time making an impact.

Harkins sent Dayton racing clear with a cute pass and the English winger got his shot away despite a slip at the edge of the box and his low drive was powerful enough to beat Brown.

The visitors looked down and out and minutes later Foster was booked a for a cynical foul on Dayton as the home supporters cried for a more severe punishment than the yellow card that was shown.

There was something of a late rally from the Dons but the home defence stood firm without too much trouble.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories