Rangers' Steven Whittaker injured in Hamburg defeat

Steven Whittaker in action against Hamburg
Whittaker captained Rangers in their friendly in Germany

Steven Whittaker picked up an Achilles injury in Rangers' 2-1 friendly defeat against Hamburg on Tuesday evening.

The versatile Scot, who captained the team in Steven Davis's absence, was taken off after 52 minutes of the game at the Imtech Arena.

"I hope it's not problematic," Whittaker told the Rangers website.

"The boy challenged me from behind and I tried to ride the tackle a bit. He caught me on the Achilles and it just tightened up in the next few minutes."

Whittaker revealed that he was due to feature for only an hour of the game and saw little point in risking exacerbating the injury by staying on the pitch for another eight minutes or so.

"It's important that we are as strong as we can be at the weekend," he added, looking ahead to Rangers' home game against Dunfermline on Saturday in the Scottish Premier League.

"The physios are pretty optimistic and I think I've just got a kick, so hopefully with a couple of days that can settle down and I'll be able to play as normal."

Norwegian midfielder Thomas Bendiksen scored his first senior goal for Rangers in the game and his manager Ally McCoist revealed that the 22-year-old has been offered a new contract to remain at Ibrox.

"I'm delighted for Thomas after his goal," said the Rangers boss.

"He's had a lot of problems with injuries and hasn't got as many games as he would have hoped.

"But hopefully that's him getting there now because he's a great lad and he just wants to play football.

"We've been talking to Thomas and his agent for the last two or three weeks about a new deal because we're very, very keen to do one with them.

"There's something on the table and I'm very hopeful, given he is keen to stay, that we can do something there."

Bendiksen's 70th-minute goal levelled the match after Ivo Ilicevic had given the Bundesliga side the lead late in the first half.

However, Rangers keeper Neil Alexander spilled a simple back-header nine minutes from time and Heung-Min Son prodded the ball over the line.

Top Stories