Fabio Capello to exit as England boss after Euro 2012
Fabio Capello has confirmed he will not stay on as England manager beyond the end of their Euro 2012 campaign.
Capello's £6m-a-year contract expires in the summer and the 65-year-old has already been linked with other jobs.
Sir Trevor Brooking, the Football Association's director of football development, had suggested that he could continue after a strong campaign.
But Capello has ruled out signing a new deal, insisting "as an England manager, this is it for me".
Capello has consistently said he would leave his post as England boss after Euro 2012, but it had been thought a good performance from England in Poland and Ukraine next summer might trigger a change of mind.
Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp, 64, is the current favourite to take over from the Italian.
"If we could get someone home-grown it would send out the right message," Brooking said. "It would launch a new era and we do want a system where we have an English coach.
"But we don't want to lock it in - how many candidates are there? I am sure Harry Redknapp would be high in the betting but we will look at it on merit at the time."
England, who were beaten 4-1 by Germany in the last 16 of the World Cup 17 months ago, will find out on Friday who their group opponents will be at Euro 2012.
Capello's side, who will be based in the Polish city of Krakow, are in the pot of second seeds, along with Germany, Italy and Russia.
The former AC Milan, Juventus, Roma and Real Madrid boss has been in charge of England since December 2007, succeeding Steve McClaren.
Capello has already been linked with other coaching positions after Euro 2012, including a lucrative post with big-spending Russian club Anzhi Makhachkala and a return to Italy with Inter Milan.