Inverness CT 2-1 Aberdeen

Inverness Caledonian Thistle secured their third home win of the season against Aberdeen in a wind-affected match low on Christmas cheer.

Roman Golobart headed in an opener for the hosts from a corner on 64 minutes.

Five minutes later, Gregory Tade doubled the lead with a low drive before Rory Fallon's close-range shot pulled one back for the Dons.

A late Kari Arnason shot sailed wide of the Inverness goal as Aberdeen failed to find a leveller.

The win puts Terry Butcher's side within two points of the ninth-placed Dons, who have only managed one win on the road this season.

Inverness top scorer Andrew Shinnie was a surprise absentee along with defender Ross Tokely - with both thought to be injured following last week's 2-1 loss at Rangers.

Defender Thomas Piermayr returned from a back injury while David Davis was back from suspension for the hosts.

Meanwhile, the Dons made four changes with Youl Mawene, Andrew Considine, Chris Clark and Josh Magennis coming in, while Rory McArdle, Fallon and Fraser Fyvie dropped to the bench and Mohamed Chalali missed out.

After lacklustre start, Inverness keeper Ryan Esson was forced into the first save of the game when he parried a Magennis shot wide.

Tade put a tempting ball into the Aberdeen penalty area, but none of his team-mates were waiting to pounce and the chance to open the scoring fizzled out.

Moments later, Kari Arnason headed towards goal from inside the Inverness penalty area, but sent his effort wide of the mark.

Magennis gave Esson a scare with a close-range effort that spun out for a corner as the half-hour mark approached, then a Graham Shinnie shot failed to reach the target.

A particularly poor first 45 minutes came to an end with an Inverness corner swung in by Johnny Hayes, which Golobart headed wildly over the bar, typifying the quality of football on offer in the difficult Highland conditions.

It was a full 18 minutes into the second half before anything meaningful happened as Davis tested Dons keeper Jason Brown with a powerful shot that was parried wide for a corner.

Hayes swung the ball in and Golobart soared above the Aberdeen defence to head in and open the scoring.

Five minutes later, Tade somehow managed to slide a ball through a packed Aberdeen defence to double Inverness Caledonian Thistle's lead with a low drive in to the bottom right corner of the goal.

Aberdeen reduced the deficit in the 76th minute when Fallon evaded the Inverness defence and fired in to an open goal from close range.

In the final minutes of regulation time, Foran managed to hook the ball away from a panic-stricken Inverness penalty area as Aberdeen pressed for a late equaliser.

Arnason wasted a perfectly good opportunity to level the scores in added time when he blasted the ball wide.

Tade went down on the edge of the Aberdeen penalty area right as referee Alan Muir blew the final whistle, but the match was over as a contest and Inverness claimed all the points.

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories