Dundee Utd 3-1 Hibernian

Jon Daly scored twice in the closing 15 minutes as Dundee United came from behind to sink lowly Hibs at Tannadice.

Leigh Griffiths broke the deadlock on 24 minutes after latching onto a Martin Scott pass and calmly volleying home.

United dominated after the break and Johnny Russell coolly rounded keeper Graham Stack to level on 59 minutes.

Daly nodded in an excellent delivery from Paul Dixon and slipped a shot beyond Stack in the closing stages as the visitors fell apart.

The win lifts United up to sixth in the Scottish Premier League, while Hibs are now in danger of being cast adrift with Dunfermline at the foot of the table.

Pat Fenlon, who was close to taking over at Tannadice two years ago, has started his Hibs career with three defeats and the Irishman will be disappointed by the way his team faded after the interval.

The match started at a lively pace with Russell firing over from the edge of the box in the opening minute before Ivan Sproule ended a darting run at the other end with a low drive into the side-netting.

The hosts were next to carve out an opening after 14 minutes when left-back Dixon floated an inviting ball to the back post but United Daly was unable to apply the finishing touch.

Hibs midfielder Scott showed great agility to take the ball on the chest and fire a volleyed pass across goal into the direction of Griffiths but the on-loan Wolves man was inches away from connecting.

However, the duo were to combine to great effect when Griffiths raced onto Scott's lofted pass and placed a volley beyond keeper Dusan Pernis.

United were close to equalising when John Rankin and Daly combined to set up Russell, who skipped past Paul Hanlon before slotting the ball just past the post.

Rankin then saw his curling effort from the edge of the area sail over the crossbar.

But it was the visitors who almost increased their advantage three minutes before the break when Pernis produced a wonderful save to keep out a Griffiths header.

Early in the second half, United with Gavin Gunning testing Stack from distance before Scott Robertson was denied by a fine save from the Hibernian keeper after 52 minutes.

The equaliser arrived when Gary Mackay-Steven slalomed past a couple of Hibernian defenders before finding Stuart Armstrong, who neatly played in Russell to round Stack before tapping the ball into the unguarded net.

And United were ahead after 76 minutes when Daly rose highest to head home Dixon's enticing delivery.

The visitors had a chance to get back on level terms in the closing stages when Hanlon headed narrowly past the post from a Griffiths corner before Pernis spilled a drilled effort from substitute Danny Galbraith and had to rely on Gunning to hack the ball clear.

With Hibs all at sea at the back, Daly made sure of all three points when ran onto a Rankin header and slipped the ball home with two minutes remaining.

Live text commentaryexternal-link