Burnley 3-0 Doncaster

Burnley scored two late goals to seal a fifth win in six Championship matches and continue their charge up the table.

Jay Rodriguez set the Clarets on their way before the interval, coolly netting from the penalty spot after Sam Hird was deemed to have fouled Chris McCann.

Martin Paterson headed home a second with six minutes left after Rodriguez rattled the bar with a fierce shot.

And Hird put through his own net in stoppage time to complete the scoring.

Burnley top-scorer Rodriguez once again had a hand in the goal, heading Kieran Trippier's cross back across goal where the unfortunate Bird's intervention ensured the hosts move to within three points of the play-off spots.

And the home side were good value for their win, despite leaving it late.

Rodriguez twice went close early on but Rovers defender Herita Ilunga cleared one effort off the line and headed another attempt wide, while James O'Connor also cleared a goalbound Junior Stanislas shot.

The visitors weathered the storm and James Coppinger might have given them the lead, only to dither and then fire over after good work by El Hadji Diouf.

But Burnley went ahead from the spot thanks to Rodriguez's 12th goal of the season when referee David Webb penalised Hird for a challenge on Clarets skipper McCann.

Doncaster almost found an instant response as a fine move ended with Billy Sharp's glancing header from Brian Stock's cross striking the post and Giles Barnes also squandered a good opening but side-footed wide from close range.

After the interval Coppinger forced a fabulous save from Lee Grant with a dipping volley.

But as Doncaster pressed the hosts were starting to find gaps on the break.

Ross Wallace drilled into the side netting before the second goal duly arrived when Habib Beye's headed clearance was thundered against the bar by Rodriguez and Paterson reacted quickest to nod into an empty net.

And Bird's own goal capped a miserable afternoon both for him and for Rovers, who remain in the relegation zone, two points from safety.

Burnley manager Eddie Howe: "We were delighted with the win. I thought we got some good passing triangles and inter-play going.

"It was a very open game. Doncaster came here and both sides were going for the win which made it a real spectacle.

"It was a little too open in the second half and I don't think we controlled the game but, on another day, we could have put the game to bed a lot earlier.

"I am pleased that Pato [Martin Paterson] got the goal because he has worked so hard whilst he has been out injured."

Doncaster manager Dean Saunders: "That was not a 3-0 game. I thought we played well. The decision for the penalty is ridiculous but there were lots of other decisions that went against us.

"I'm not going to slaughter the referee because financially it doesn't make sense - that is the only reason.

"We have to go to Watford and not let that scoreline affect us because it could have been the other way. Their goalkeeper made a good save at 1-0 but we had plenty of chances.

"This is a difficult place to come and they have some very sharp players, but to have that many chances and not score is disappointing."

Live text commentaryexternal-link