Hibernian 1-1 Inverness CT

By Andy CampbellBBC Sport Scotland

Pat Fenlon's wait for a first win as Hibernian manager continued but the Irishman did pick up his first point with a draw against Inverness.

Garry O'Connor's excellent free-kick gave Hibs an eighth-minute advantage.

But a terrific individual goal by Jonny Hayes levelled the scores before the half-time interval.

In a second half of few chances, Hibs had the best one in injury time when Sean O'Hanlon's header was blocked near the goalline by Richie Foran.

Hibs move a point clear of Scottish Premier League bottom club Dunfermline, who have a game in hand after their match at Motherwell was postponed, and Inverness are now five clear of the Pars.

An early long ball caused confusion in the Hibernian defence and Gregory Tade tried to head the bouncing ball towards goal but the danger was eventually cleared.

The hosts soon moved ahead with Danny Galbraith fouled on the edge of the box, giving O'Connor the chance to have a strike at goal.

Inverness players celebrate Jonny Hayes' goal against Hibernian
Hayes (centre) fired a deserved equaliser for Inverness

The forward lifted the ball up and over the wall whilst putting enough pace on it to beat the diving Ryan Esson.

O'Connor had another free-kick attempt minutes later but the effort was high and wide.

Inverness began to gain some momentum and only an important block by David Stephens blocked Billy McKay's route to goal.

Foran then cracked the base of the post with a left-foot shot and, after the Highlanders had kept the ball in and around the Hibs box, Hayes' bending shot curved just wide.

The visitors were dominating and McKay was brought down down on the edge of the box by Stephens, who was booked.

Hayes' free-kick appeared to strike an arm in the Hibs wall but play was allowed to continue.

But Hayes was not to be denied in the 41st minute as he picked up the ball on the right near halway and evaded several Hibs challenges as he moved forward into a central position before arrowing a low shot into Graham Stack's bottom left-hand corner.

O'Connor went down in the Inverness box before half-time and the striker was booked for simulation.

A decent Hibs break shortly after the break ended with Galbraith trying to chip Stack from the left-hand corner of the box but the winger's effort dropped over the bar.

Chances were becoming scarce at either end as the hour-mark was crossed.

Hibs substitute Martin Scott, on for Leigh Griffiths, headed the ball against the arm of David Davis in the Inverness box but again there was to be no spot-kick award.

Further changes in personnel failed to reignite the match but Hibernian almost snatched victory when O'Hanlon got on the end of Galbraith's corner but Foran was well placed to block the header keep the score level.

Live text commentaryexternal-link