Hibernian 1-3 Hearts

Hearts floored Hibernian with two late goals to stretch their unbeaten run in Edinburgh derbies to nine games.

Hibs keeper Graham Stack saved an Ian Black penalty just before the break.

Although the goalkeeper denied Webster on 58 minutes, Ryan McGowan headed in on the rebound only for Marius Zaliukas to score in his own net seconds later.

Andy Webster's low drive restored Hearts' lead with seven minutes left and substitute Rudi Skacel blasted another on the break in stoppage time.

It meant that, despite a third straight month of delayed wages, Hearts made it four games without defeat after the 293rd Edinburgh derby to leave Hibs second bottom in the Scottish Premier League.

Interview - Hearts manager Paulo Sergio

Hearts manager Paulo Sergio ended his club's two-month ban on media comment by talking to BBC Radio Scotland just before kick-off.

And there was also a change in direction on the pitch, with the Portuguese making five changes - Black, Jamie Hamill, Stephen Elliott, Mehdi Taouil and Scott Robinson all coming into the starting line-up after the 0-0 draw with Aberdeen.

Hibs' new signing from Sligo Rovers, Eoin Doyle, had to be content with a place on the bench along with fellow striker Garry O'Connor, who has been struggling with a toe injury.

Ian Black celebrates
Black missed a penalty but was able to expose his victory t-shirt

However, four others were introduced to Pat Fenlon's line-up - Paul Hanlon, Ian Murray, Martin Scott and Victor Palsson - after the Easter Road outfit were held 1-1 at home to Inverness in their last fixture.

Hibs were first to threaten, but Danny Galbraith sliced wildly past the near post after being set up by Leigh Griffiths 14 yards from goal.

Lewis Stevenson and Hanlon were both shown yellow cards as Hibs got caught up in the emotions of a typically frenetic start.

Hanlon, given an unfamiliar right-back role, was quickly under pressure as a result, with David Templeton stepping inside the naturally left-sided defender to send a low drive off the outside of the far post then powering another long-range effort wide.

Hearts should have taken the lead after 24 minutes when Elliott pulled the ball back into the path of the unmarked Taouil, who sliced wide from 12 yards, injuring himself in the process before being immediately replaced with Andrew Driver.

The visitors again squandered a chance three minutes before the break when Callum Booth was short with his backpass to Stack, who pulled down Elliott as he tried to clear.

Interview - Hibernian manager Pat Fenlon

Black, until then the most influential player on the park, did not pack enough punch in his low spot kick and Stack stretched out a hand to turn the ball wide for a corner.

Hibs took heart from their visitors' third penalty miss in a row to exert the early pressure after the break.

Black looked to make amends for his penalty miss but was again denied by the fingertips for Stack as the midfielder powered a dipping effort from 25 yards.

From the corner, Black's driven corner was headed powerfully by Webster and, although Stack blocked on the line, McGowan made sure from close range.

However, Hibs immediately headed up the other end and a wild attempt at a clearance by Zaliukas' sent Galbraith's low cross past goalkeeper Marian Kello.

Play was now raging from end to end and Ivan Sproule's low cross-come-shot flashed across the face of Hearts' goal.

Goalscorer McGowan was fortunate to escape without even a yellow card for reacting angrily to a clumsy Sproule challenge.

Black sent a 20-yard drive inches over the crossbar before Webster rose to meet a long throw, John Sutton played it back into his path and the central defender fired low past Stack.

Driver had an effort half stopped by Stack before being cleared off the line by Sean O'Hanlon, but Skacel finally made Hibs pay on the break to leave Pat Fenlon still looking for his first win as manager.

Live text commentary

Top Stories