Rangers 3-0 Motherwell

Rangers kept in touch with Scottish Premier League leaders Celtic with a home win over Motherwell.

David Healy's shot on the turn gave Rangers the lead 10 minutes before the half-time interval.

Sone Aluko's first goal for the Ibrox side doubled their advantage on 55 minutes, the winger firing home from the edge of the box.

Motherwell rarely threatened and fell further behind when the unfortunate Stephen Craigan scored an own goal.

Ally McCoist's side remain two points behind Celtic, who beat Dunfermline, while third-placed Well are now only two points ahead of Hearts.

as speculation about the striker's future gathered pace at the start of the January transfer window.

Rangers forward Kyle Lafferty
Lafferty left the field early on due to a hamstring problem

Kyle Lafferty started in attack with Healy, but that partnership was short-lived as the former left the field on a stretcher after eight minutes with what appeared to be a hamstring injury.

John Fleck, , took over from Lafferty and the hosts tried to use the pace of Lee Wallace and Sone Aluko to try to unlock the Motherwell defence.

Wallace outpaced Tim Clancy and got a sight of goal, but Shaun Hutchinson's superbly timed tackle snuffed out the danger.

A Steven Davis free-kick was held by Motherwell goalkeeper Darren Randolph as the home crowd began to get frustrated.

Sasa Papac moved forward to aid the Rangers attack and his cross found Healy, whose downward header was off target.

However, Healy atoned for that miss from a more difficult chance as he received Maurice Edu's pass, turned and sidefooted past Randolph.

Having rarely threatened in the first half, Well looked to level before the break and Michael Higdon was unable to convert a free header before lifting a shot over from Steven Hammell's teasing cross.

Interview - Motherwell manager Stuart McCall

The visitors made a couple of changes at the break, with Chris Humphrey and Omar Daley coming on for Jamie Murphy and Stephen Hughes.

Rangers were determined to double their lead and Wallace's shot from Aluko's cross was well saved by Randolph before Carlos Bocanegra's header was blocked on the line by Hateley.

The pressure finally told when Davis and Healy combined well to set up Aluko and the winger dropped his shoulder before firing a shot past Randolph from the edge of the box.

Davis played a one-two with Healy before unleashing a shot that was palmed away by Randolph.

The keeper was called into action again to prevent an own goal by Hutchinson, who had diverted a dangerous cross towards his own goal.

However, Randolph was powerless to prevent Craigan suffering the ignominy of scoring for the opposition.

Aluko found Wallace, whose cross was turned into the net by the Motherwell captain.

Edu and Wallace made way for Jordan McMillan and Salim Kerkar and the Motherwell goal was fortunate to survive an onslaught that saw Kerkar and Fleck have efforts blocked before Aluko blasted wide.

Live text commentary

Top Stories