Dunfermline Athletic 0-3 Celtic

By Martin ConaghanBBC Scotland

Celtic swept aside Dunfermline to retain their two-point lead at the top of the Scottish Premier League table.

Anthony Stokes fired in a stylish strike from 18 yards to open the scoring for Celtic on 18 minutes.

Five minutes before the interval, Victor Wanyama volleyed in a Charlie Mulgrew free-kick at the back post.

Mulgrew turned scorer in the 69th minute with a curling free-kick that evaded Pars keeper Chris Smith to seal the win.

The defeat means bottom side Dunfermline have yet to win a match at home this season, while Celtic have now taken 30 points from their last 10 outings.

Stokes came in for the injured Beram Kayal for the 100th meeting between the sides, with Emilio Izaguirre on the bench as he looked to make his comeback from a broken ankle.

Dunfermline made two changes, with Gary Mason and John Potter coming in as Joe Cardle dropped out due to illness.

Celtic gave the hosts a scare after six minutes with a Mulgrew corner that battered its way around the Dunfermline penalty area before being swept clear.

Moments later, Georgios Samaras delivered a cool ball across the face of goal, but none of his team-mates was on hand to profit.

Stokes opened the scoring in casual fashion after a Mulgrew corner came out to the edge of the Dunfermline penalty area and the Northern Irishman took a touch before lobbing the ball into the top right-hand corner of the net.

Wanyama almost made it two on the half-volley from 25 yards out with a blistering strike that Chris Smith tipped on to the bar and out for a corner.

Stokes and Samaras worked the ball into the Dunfermline penalty area but failed to make it count before Martin Hardie mistimed a shot that drifted wide of goalkeeper Fraser Forster's left-hand post.

Wanyama stole in at the back post to fire in a crisp volley from Mulgrew's inch-perfect free-kick to put Celtic two up.

Less than a minute later, Paul Burns forced a save out of Forster as Dunfermline tried to claw one back before the break.

Dunfermline emerged from the interval with keen enthusiasm but struggled to break down Celtic's resolute defence.

Gary Hooper dinked a header towards the Dunfermline goal from a Joe Ledley cross, but the ball drifted wide of Smith's left-hand post.

James Forrest blitzed his way past the Pars' defence and slipped the ball across the six-yard line, but no-one was there to knock the ball in at the back post.

An intense spell from Dunfermline saw Hardie fire in a shot from 18 yards out that inched past Forster's right-hand post.

The match was over as a contest when Mulgrew flighted in a curling free-kick from wide on the right that left Smith flapping at air in the Dunfermline goal.

Samaras forced a save out of Smith from close range, then Hardie sent a close-range effort over the crossbar.

Substitute Ki-Sung Yeung could have put Celtic four up with a low drive that drifted past the post.

A late shot from Stokes and an injury-time Mulgrew free-kick failed to find the target as Celtic left the Kingdom of Fife with their 10th successive league victory.

Live text commentaryexternal-link