Hull 3-1 Ipswich

Hull booked their place in round four of the FA Cup after seeing off fellow Championship side Ipswich.

Aaron McLean put them ahead, keeping his composure to poke home after good work from Robbie Brady.

Tom Cairney made it 2-0, after catching the goalkeeper off his line with a fine left-foot finish from 25 yards.

Ipswich halved the gap after the break when substitute Jason Scotland tucked in a rebound but Cameron Stewart sealed it on the break in added time.

Hull boss Nicky Barmby made seven changes to the side that lost to Derby last time out, while Ipswich boss Paul Jewell brought in four new faces from the defeat by Nottingham Forest.

Ipswich almost took the lead as early as the fifth minute when Daryl Murphy just failed to get on the end of Aaron Cresswell's cross.

The home side went close through Brady's dangerous free-kick and a drilled near-post effort from Stewart.

Richard Garcia's deft flick from Stewart's cross with his back to goal was also narrowly off target.

But moments later Hull had the lead after a surging run from Brady.

He found McLean, who held off Ibrahima Sonko and steered his shot past Arran Lee-Barrett.

An alert Cairney notched his first goal of the season to give Hull a two-goal cushion at the interval but Ipswich took advantage of a slow start by the home side after the resumption.

They pulled a goal back when a hopeful long-range effort from Jay Emmanuel-Thomas was spilled by Vito Mannone and Scotland pounced with a neat, first-time strike.

More anxiety from the Hull keeper could have resulted in an equaliser but Emmanuel-Thomas finished weakly after Mannone failed to come and claim a ball played over the top.

Mannone redeemed himself with a smart save to keep out a well-struck Josh Carson effort from 25 yards and clung on to deny Grant Leadbitter in stoppage time.

There was to be no replay, however, as Hull broke and the impressive Stewart finished with aplomb.

Hull City caretaker manager Nick Barmby told BBC Radio Humberside:

"We knew that they'd come up against us as they had nothing to lose at 2-0 down and we saw what happened against Barnsley when they won 5-3.

"The main thing is that we're back to winning ways, we've scored three goals and I'm pleased.

"Aaron McLean was a deserved man of the match and I thought he was tremendous but I don't think you can single out a single player."

Ipswich Town manager Paul Jewell told BBC Radio Suffolk: "Jimmy Bullard is not very well at all. He says flu has really knocked him off his feet and we'll have to see how he is over the next couple of weeks.

"The club have agreed to pay up Ivar Ingimarsson's contract. It hasn't worked out for him.

"I've never seen a team give goals away like us under no pressure. Every time the opposition go forward, it looks like a goal."

Live text commentaryexternal-link

Top Stories