Sean Rigg believes the lack of transfer activity at Port Vale in January could work in the favour of players, such as himself, on the fringes of the squad.
Manager Micky Adams will not make any new signings because of the difficult financial situation at Vale Park.
Striker Rigg scored as a substitute in the 2-1 loss to Cheltenham on Monday.
"I want to be playing regularly again," he told BBC Radio Stoke. "I've waited my time on the bench and that's what you've got to do sometimes."
Rigg, who has netted seven goals this season and is one behind top scorer Marc Richards, has appeared from the bench in each of the last seven matches.
However, the former Bristol Rovers man could be given his first start since 19 November when Vale travel to third-placed Southend on Saturday.
Loanees Jennison Myrie-Williams and Guy Madjo have now returned to parent club Stevenage.
Adams had already confirmed to BBC Radio Stoke it was unlikely that he would have been able to keep hold of the duo.
"There won't be any players coming in in January," the Vale boss said on Monday.
"Unless the situation changes dramatically in the next 48 hours we'll have to say goodbye to the loan players as well."